Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
I'd imagine it was the same premise for why bats can't breed with birds. Or butterflies with moths. They are not from the same genetic family and thus are rendered sexually incompatible. I'm sure there is a more "scientifically" worded response for this though. Check wiki. ;)

p.s. Very nice shrimp!

· Registered
164 Posts
Hmm, the closest discussion I could find on the web is this: http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071221054842AAcSM6F
This guy is suggesting it may be possible, though he had no direct experience with it and the results may be sterile.

On my first read I thought you meant what is the scientific reasoning in general. I didn't realize you were asking for specifics on cardina and neocardina. My suggestion to search a wiki, was for the reasoning behind the process in general, though I have yet to be able to find the specific term to search for. The wiki has "everything" nowadays. ;)

Now you've certainly got my interest lvl up. I have CRS and RCS in the same tank. I wonder if I ever get flukes and just don't know it.

Am I onto what you are looking to discuss? Is the possible genetic anomaly you are personally witnessing due to interbreeding across species as opposed to the belief this is an occurrence that oft arises in just Tiger shrimp alone?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.