Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Several years ago I used the 40 watt T12 lamp. It was a F40DX. They make a T8 version now.

It was a bit green but I used it in conjunction with a GroLux Standard as a dawn/dusk light.
It did balance out the purplish hue of the GroLux fairly well.

Philips is really good about sending spectral output graphs when you contact them thru their
website in the Contact section. I have a pdf with info on the bulb you're looking for (TLD950) but its too big to post here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been running the 55w 5500K high CRI bulbs from ahsupply. I have found that they do not produce pearling nearly as good as the Philips PL-L 950's 5300K 92CRI I had been using. I recently replaced them with (3) T8 bulbs: Philips Aquarelle, Philips ADV850 and an All-Glass 8000K. I have 14 fewer watts but the pearling is tremendous.

I ordered a miro4 four foot reflector and a Fulham Workhorse 5 ballast from naturallighting.com (good prices) and got 2 cheap shop lights from Home Depot. I will strip the shop lights and use the shells and connector ends with the Fulham ballast and miro4 reflector and place them into an enclosure to run (4) T8's.

BTW, 10,000K are typically more of a marine bulb and the extra blue light emitted will tend to produce more algae growth. If you like the looks then go for it; otherwise lean more toward full spectrum bulbs.
Hi Newt,

This particular post of yours caught my attention. I have been using the 4x55 AH supply bright kit with the 5500K bulbs over my co2 injected AG 75 gal for quite some time. Plant growth has been good. However, if there are lamps of similar CRI/color temp that will provide more usable light to plants, I'm interested.

What you said above, can you confirm that for me my ruling out any other changes in your setup that may have resulted in the increased photosynthesis of your plants?

All tank variables the same?
Both sets of lamps well within their usable life?

Thanks,
Red

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
All other variables are/were the same. I did not use shop lights but rather made a fixture out of 1/2" birch plywood and am using two 38watt Philips aquarelles overdriven and one 54watt T5HO GE Starcoat 5000K.

The Philips PLL950's have changed and they are not as good as the original. Too much green hue in their spectrum now. I suggest using two GE 9325K (good buy at atlantalightbulb.com) and contact Larry at www.naturallighting.com and see if he has a PLL 55W 6500K by Jana-Lites. I bought a 36w for my 10 gal shrimp tank and love the color.

·
Registered
80 Posts
All other variables are/were the same. I did not use shop lights but rather made a fixture out of 1/2" birch plywood and am using two 38watt Philips aquarelles overdriven and one 54watt T5HO GE Starcoat 5000K.

The Philips PLL950's have changed and they are not as good as the original. Too much green hue in their spectrum now. I suggest using two GE 9325K (good buy at atlantalightbulb.com) and contact Larry at www.naturallighting.com and see if he has a PLL 55W 6500K by Jana-Lites. I bought a 36w for my 10 gal shrimp tank and love the color.
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Is it your educated opinion that using 2 GE9325K combined with 2 5500K lamps in my 4x55 fixture will promote better plant growth than either alone?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Working knowledge.
I buy and experiment with many bulb brands and types.
I think you will like the effect even though the GE 9325K is only 67 CRI.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Working knowledge.
I buy and experiment with many bulb brands and types.
I think you will like the effect even though the GE 9325K is only 67 CRI.
For my taste, there isn't a better look than the high CRI 5500K lamps, but I'm not concerned about that at the moment.

Do you know of any 55w CF lamps with the proper spectral output that produce photosynthesis better than another?

For example, do the 9325's produce better growth than the AHS 5500K's I'm currently using?

The reason I'm concerned about better growth is, my plant tank is a cichlid tank. And if I don't stay on top of it, the fish can and will eat and destroy the plants faster than I can grow them.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Have you read this sticky:http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/723-9325k-difference.html

AHSupply will not provide spectral graphs for any of their bulbs and wont tell you who manufactured it. Its a big disadvantage when trying to choose which bulb has the most intensity in the proper blue and red regions.

Take a look a these:http://www.1000bulbs.com/Full-Spectrum-55-Watt-4-Pin-2G11-Base-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs/

I really suggest you contact Larry at Natural Lighting. He is honest and has a good selection of bulbs. The site is a bit difficult to navigate.
Here's one:http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=695&rn=3187&action=show_detail

Another: http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=695&rn=3380&action=show_detail

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you read this sticky:http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/723-9325k-difference.html

AHSupply will not provide spectral graphs for any of their bulbs and wont tell you who manufactured it. Its a big disadvantage when trying to choose which bulb has the most intensity in the proper blue and red regions.

Take a look a these:http://www.1000bulbs.com/Full-Spectrum-55-Watt-4-Pin-2G11-Base-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs/

I really suggest you contact Larry at Natural Lighting. He is honest and has a good selection of bulbs. The site is a bit difficult to navigate.
Here's one:http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=695&rn=3187&action=show_detail

Another: http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php?crn=695&rn=3380&action=show_detail
Thanks for the links, but you didn't answer my question. So I'll take that as a you don't know?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I havent used CF bulbs for awhile nor do I know each and every bulb out there. Plus w/o a spectral output graph and normalized plots for all of them there is no way to really tell. Too bad companies dont give PUR info for their bulbs. I have given you a few choices based on what you like and what I think might be better than the AHS CFs.
I dont suppose you are using CO2 in a cichlid tank. This would increase photosynthesis rate.
I'd stay away from coralife and japanese bulbs as they tend to be heavy in the green spectrum.
You should also change them out annually.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I havent used CF bulbs for awhile nor do I know each and every bulb out there. Plus w/o a spectral output graph and normalized plots for all of them there is no way to really tell. Too bad companies dont give PUR info for their bulbs. I have given you a few choices based on what you like and what I think might be better than the AHS CFs.
I dont suppose you are using CO2 in a cichlid tank. This would increase photosynthesis rate.
I'd stay away from coralife and japanese bulbs as they tend to be heavy in the green spectrum.
Good Luck.
Thanks for your recommendations. Yes, my cichlid tank is CO2 injected. I'm thinking of picking up some duckweed to help keep their appetites appeased. Where is the best place to buy aquatic plants?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I need some help. I want a LED ramp that is GOOD for plants and LOOKS good. And i want it in around 8000 K if its possible.

I want to use cree leds and I have some ideas.
Cree led xp-G cool white and warm white to get the red and the blue spectra. I also want to add some blue xp-E for some blue in the the 475 nm area and moonlight.

No to the problem, I have 36 led to play with and i want it to LOOK GOOD to. How many of every led do i need to get a good plant light and make it look good? cree.com have all the charts and colortemps. Please help me :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been using Marineland's "reef ready" LED s. For about 7 months. Very bright natural color with slight washout since there is little/no red output. Ive realized that some species do awesomely well, while others mediocre. Supposively, stem plants won't elongate without red...not true. Only kompacta has stopped vertical growth. Others like Wisteria,ludwigia, dw hairgrass, dw sagg, and baby tears with crazy growth.
I switched cuz I was tiring of the "BULBS". The ML doublebright is in the 6000 k range, but not bright enough for my deep tank...so I went with the 10,000k reef-ready. Personally, I will not use flo bulbs again.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I need some help. I want a LED ramp that is GOOD for plants and LOOKS good. And i want it in around 8000 K if its possible.

I want to use cree leds and I have some ideas.
Cree led xp-G cool white and warm white to get the red and the blue spectra. I also want to add some blue xp-E for some blue in the the 475 nm area and moonlight.

No to the problem, I have 36 led to play with and i want it to LOOK GOOD to. How many of every led do i need to get a good plant light and make it look good? cree.com have all the charts and colortemps. Please help me :)
I have worked with there LED's extensively on Reefs. Planted fresh water tanks are almost simpler. Looking at 36 LED's I would start with a split between the cool whites (6,500K) and the Neutral Whites ( 4,500K). You would want a couple more of the cools to boast your blues and this gives a nice starting color for most people. so a base would be 16 neutral Whites and 20 Cool whites. But the color temp would be closer to 6,000K. To boast up the color temp to 8,000K I would replace probably 4 or 6 of the Whites with the True Blue 470nm LED's. Replace an equal number of the cool and the neutrals to keep a good balance.

Note you mentioned the warm whites. I would not use these I think they are way too much red and not enough blue. Also keep in mind that the K scale does noit ever reach blue but peaks out in the cyan region of the spectrum, 6,000K and 10,000 K are very white in most peoples eye.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know where I can order 150W 6500K mogul base metal halite replacement bulbs. I was able to get them last year but now I can find a place with them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't know if anyone will see this since the last post here was from 2015 but I'll give it a try.

Does anyone know where I can find T8 24" bulbs in 8,000K? I use to use a 6,500 and 8,000 for my tank and I never had any algae problems and I liked the looks of the colours in the tank. The 8,000 bulbs I had came with the fixture and since then, I cannot find them anywhere for sale.

I'm now using a 6,500 and a 10,000. I don't really care much for it and since I started using the 10, I have a bit of algae now even though I haven't changed anything with how I care for the tank.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts