Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I think it has potential -- it just needs some time to grow in. You may decide to switch out some of that Hygrophila difformis on the left for something else later in this tank's life.

I would remove the small, round rocks scattered in the foreground since they do not really add anything and would probably be covered by all the lush vegetation in the future anyways.

Oh, I like the idea of your moss wall but I think it would be best to spread it across the entire background instead of just on the left side.

Keep us updated. :D

Carlos

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply!
which plant should i use to replace the h. difformis?

i wanted to extend the moss wall, but i ran out of moss! :oops:
think i'll do it once the moss grows out! do you happen to know how long christmas moss takes to grow?

the e.tenellus in the front is growing longer & longer leaves..but the plants don't seem to be putting out many runners!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hmm, replacement for Hygrophila difformis? Hemianthus micranthemoides, Rotala rotundifolia "green," and Heteranthera zosterifolia would all be excellent choices.

Mayaca fluviatilis is also a very pretty, although common plant, with bright, lime green foliage. It acts as a weather vane for proper trace fertilization -- if the tips go white, you are not adding enough iron/traces.

Don't know about the moss. Is the E. tenellus sending out runners yet?

Carlos

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you want you moss wall to grow out faster, try thinning the moss out a bit more to the point that no frond overlaps another. From the looks of it, you should be able to spread out what you have to cover practically the 2 plates you are using. This will maximize your moss, allowing all the tips to get enough light. right now, everything you have that is being shaded will not grow as fast (if at all) and is essentially wasted.

As for your H.difformis, you might want to think about swapping some with a grass type plant like c. helferi, Vallineria, Sagitteria, crinum, even narrow leaved forms of Echinodorus (E. uruguayensis, horemanni, narrow leaf red rubin etc.) I have always liked the use of vertical lines in a tank that has Nymphaea, makes for a great counterpoint to the big wide lilly leaves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice!

the e.tennellus is throwing out runners already, but the leaves seem to be growing longer and faster than the runners, and i find that pretty weird.

not much difference for the moss, i think i'll heed aaron's advice and do the single frond planting, but that'll be after my exams. :wink: do moss need lots of light? because if i were to spread it, those lower down might not get much light due to the other plants blocking the light..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts