Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first sketch of my upcoming project. I would appreciate some comments on the placement and selection of plants.

The aquarium is 540 liter (150*60*60) and "see through", however the bottom of the sketch is the main front.

Thank you!

1. Lileaopsis xx, 2. Riccia Fluitans, 3. Crypt. Bekettii, 4. H. zosterfolia, 5. E. Bleheri, 6. Vallisneria Americana, 7. java moss on tall drift wood, 8. H. polysperma, 9. R. Rotundifolia, 10. java fern, 11. red lotus, 12. H. difformis, 13. H. polysperma 'rosanerv', 14. xxxxxx.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey neptun,
This is a real interesting sketch, especially for a see through tank. I did have some suggestions though. Generally thinking, I would personally like the taller plants to be more centered whereas midground and foreground plants would occupy the sides. Knowing this I think that H. polysperma and R. rotundifolia might grow too large at the top right side and become "out of control" to where you don't see the center any longer. Might I suggest moving them to where 14 and the H. difformis is. You could then place H. difformis where 8 & 9 were along with Lilaeopsis taking up more area. Between the Lilaeopsis and the driftwood maybe place some midground Anubias like cofeefolia. Anyway, under high light H. difformis really likes to grow closer to the gravel so would allow you to set off that side very well. From there I would exchange the places of the Java Fern and the Red Tiger Lotus and allow the lilaeopsis to occupy the front of these two plants. Moving the Red Tiger Lotus off center will really draw people's attention to such a beautiful plant. And maybe if it reproduces quick enough you can add some in front of the H. zosterifolia on the left-top side right behind the lilaeopsis so that the other side can view some too :).

other than that I believe you have the beginning of an awesome setup. Please keep us up to date.

David

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply! :D

I agree to the fact that the lotus should switch places with the java fern. However, if I switch the rotundifolia and polysperma with the difformis, don't you think it might be to much red plants on the left side (3) compared to the right side (0)?

What about this:
- Lotus switch with java fern.
- Put Rotundifolia and Polysperma where the Polysperma 'rosanerv' and Difformis are.
- Difformis where the Polysperma was, and replace the right H. Zosterifolia with the 'Rosanerv'. (Maybe also switch place for the Swords with 'rosanerv'?)
- Add something where the Routundifolia was. Maybe Anubias cofeefolia as you suggested.
- Skip 14, let the rotundifolia and polysperma grow larger.

If you want me to, I can add a sketch in a few hours. I'm at work now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yep. you might right about the red. I believe that your corrections would make it less red in the eye.

I believe one of the largest concerns overall that I had when looking at the sketch is to ensure you have a way of leading the viewer to the taller plants. Sometimes when the taller plants (like the H. polysperma 'rosanervig' in this case) are grown directly against the glass then it creates a more "congested" look. This can be alleviated by placing foreground and midground plants between the taller plants and the glass. I believe you're on the right track though neptun. Please make another sketch! How much light do you intend to place over the tank?

David

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't really think about needing something in front of my tall plants, but when you mention it, it sounds quite obvious that I should have it :roll: . I could let the lileaopsis cover the whole length of the tank as foreground, but I still would need some kind of midground plant behind it. Maybe a little piece of driftwood covered in javamoss to create a dark shady spot in front of the swords...?
I don't really know what to add more... maybe some Sagittaria?

The light will be almost 2 wpg, + reflectors.

New sketch...

1. Lileaopsis xx, 2. Riccia Fluitans, 3. Crypt. Bekettii, 4. H. zosterfolia, 5. E. Bleheri, 6. Vallisneria Americana, 7. java moss on tall drift wood, 8. H. polysperma, 9. R. Rotundifolia, 10. java fern, 11. red lotus, 12. H. difformis, 13. H. polysperma 'rosanerv', 14. Anubias

·
Registered
513 Posts
Anubias nana and Crypt. wendtii tend to also make easier to care for midground plants. I believe that sag. is a good idea though as well as the java moss :).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Usually when i plan things out on paper and try to add it into an aquascape it never goes how i wanted. I feel it is best to order plants that you like and work around that once you lay out the hardscape and slope the gravel how you like. Fill things in around the hardscape, and the puzzle will peice itself together. its sometimes hard not to write up these schemes because you think about it so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts