Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in a beginner pack of plants a few months ago, but I still don't know what it is. I was thinking one of the crypts, but I'm just not sure.
It has been VERY SLOW growing and really didn't do much until I started with excel and DIY CO2.

Sorry I couldn't provide better info than that.

-Dave

· Registered
584 Posts
Looks like it could be crypt parva. As a ground cover you might want to replant after teasing apart som of the small plantlets that it is made up of. It does grow very slowly and stays very small. It looks really cool BTW.

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks.
I just looked Crypt. parva up on the plant finder. It says aside from being SLOOOOOWWWWW, "The addition of ample carbon dioxide and root fertilization benefits growth considerably." That makes sense since it didn't grow hardly at all until I put in the root tabs and started the CO2.

I'm excited that it will stay small. I think I'll try to 'carpet' with it. All I need is patience!

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the leaves have the lanceolate shape of 'lucens'. Whatever it is, it's slow and is looking like a promising ground cover for me. It's been putting on more new leaves now and all the new ones are the reddish tint and turn more green as they age. And for some reason it is continuing to stay very low/flat.

I think in the next couple days I'm going to tease the plants apart (I have 4 of these) and then use the root tabs to see what happens as far as filling in the foreground.

Who knows, maybe it's a new variety or cultivar of the willisii x lucens. I'll name it Crypt. willisii x lucens var. davemonkey. :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I separated the four of these had into 20 plantlets and took some shots with root structure. The more I read, the less I think it's C. x willisii 'lucens'. Maybe just C. willisii.

I'll let these grow out for a month or two and see what they do.

· Banned
4,002 Posts
C. willissi x lucens 'bronze'
Is this a cultivated variety Ghazanfar? I can not find a cultivated variety by that name anywhere. Not from Florida or Oriental aquarium. Is that a color morph that is recognized?

The only way to identify a cryp for sure is by the spathe. The shape of the leaf can vary greatly with so many cryps. I have some wendtii with that identical leaf shape because of how it was grown.

Where did you get the plant from Dave? Can your source help?

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get the plant from Dave? Can your source help?
I feel like a goober. I never thought to ask them. I got it from aquariumgarden.com back when I first put plants in the tank (about 3 or 4 months ago).

I'll shoot them a message to see if they can tell me where they got it or what it is. It's been that size for almost 4 months, but that includes all the wrong lights, algae battles, and getting things established that I went through until I got things under control.

I'll let you know what they say.

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aaron T, V.PooH, and Ghazanfar nailed it. I email Vic from 'aqauriumgarden' and he said this:

"Dear David, Thank you for your interest in our products and your order with us. The plant in question is indeed cryptocoryne willisii x lucens as has been suggested by several participants of the discussion :)
http://www.aquariumgarden.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=9255&category_id=1420

This cryptocoryne is indeed very hardy and is an excellent ground cover plant. Please let us know if you have more questions, we'll be happy to help. Sincerely Yours,Vic.AquariumGarden.com "

Oh well, there goes my patent on the 'davemonkey' variety.;)

· Banned
4,002 Posts
But he does not sell a lucens "bronze" on his WEB site, right? So evidently it is just a standard every day lucens that morphed to this bronze red color... right? To my knowledge he sells standard nursery stock, and there is no standard nursery stock plant called "lucens bronze". There is a wendtii bronze, but no lucens bronze. I am saying this without looking at his WEB site, so I could be wrong!

OK, I looked at his WEB site, and the link, and there is no lucens BRONZE listed there!!!!

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, Robert. His web-site listing for it just says "lucens" (no mention of 'bronze'). And all of the listings at aquariumgraden are common nursery stock that you might find at most nurseries. Another thing that TexGal pointed out is that they are supposed to grow 'up' and mine are hugging the ground.

When I got them, there was no bronze; so either they morphed, or it's and effect of my lighting (that 50/50 actinic and 10000K), or he got a morph without knowing it and shipped them to me before they put on that color.

I plan on growing them another month to see what happens (since I recently uprooted and replanted), and if they are still the same, I'll see if a change of lighting does anything (I'm getting some 6700K/10000K in July).

· Premium Member
1,403 Posts
yeah i don't know why yours is hugging the carpet like that mine always used to grow vertically, and fast. then again my tank was high light/ high CO2. i very much prefer your growth pattern over its usual one. let us know if you can get a carpet going that would be really cool to see

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah i don't know why yours is hugging the carpet like that mine always used to grow vertically, and fast. then again my tank was high light/ high CO2. i very much prefer your growth pattern over its usual one. let us know if you can get a carpet going that would be really cool to see
I'll keep you posted. So far, still the bronze color. New leaves are just a bit higher, but arch slightly downward, but it's still only been a few days since the re-plant. I'll post updated pics when I notice a significant change, or in two weeks...whichever comes first.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.