Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think that I had any female threadfins out of the group of five that I bought, but I'm starting to wonder otherwise. To help me better determine this, I have a few questions..

Do threadfins often display when they are an all-male group? Mine are displaying like nuts and chasing around two of my smaller threadfins (perhaps the females?). This one pair I had been observing often swim together into a group of stems in the right side of my tank, emerging a few seconds later. WHAT ARE THEY DOING? :p

Do threadfins color up within days? I got them almost colorless a week ago, and now 3 out of the 5 have fully black extensions and quite a bit of reddening in their anal fins. I know they color up when ready to breed, but I am wondering if they can change so rapidly without breeding. I have a male pair of Longfinned Rosey Barbs, but it took them a month to color up through diet and environment alone. I just wasn't expecting such a quick change.

Two of my theadfins are smaller than the more colorful, larger ones. Their fin extensions are a bit shorter, but not nonexistant. The two smaller ones are also significantly less colorful, but I can also attribute that to their size, youth, and the fact that they have three big brothers to compete with for food. I assumed at first that I had gotten all males because they all had SOME fin extensions and I had read elsewhere that females had none, but if females simply have smaller ones, I might be in luck!

If anyone can direct me to a picture of a typical female rainbow, this would be rather helpful. I'm having a hard time locating a clear photo for comparison.

Just wondering if I got lucky! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
The females don't look like the males at all so the smaller less colorful ones are just the younger or weeker males.

Fish color up when they feel at home in their new tank so it can be anything from a day to a couple of weeks if the tank conditions are not to their liking.

The males are displaying for each other and they will do that even when you have females. Kind of like a little joust to see which one is dominant.

Bruce

·
Registered
31 Posts
The females don't look like the males at all so the smaller less colorful ones are just the younger or weeker males.

I'll tend to disagree with this last statement. I have some female threadfins that have some amazing colors and finnage too boot. So from previous statements you may still be in luck with a couple of lil females on your hands as too. I can attempt to take pics for you to show the difference between females and males for you, but will make no promises, I suck at pic taking!
Fish color up when they feel at home in their new tank so it can be anything from a day to a couple of weeks if the tank conditions are not to their liking.

This is very very true for these fish tho. But again, I have females that colored up just a nicely as the males have, just their fins aren't as long.

The males are displaying for each other and they will do that even when you have females. Kind of like a little joust to see which one is dominant.

Again this is so true, in all an all male tank they will display to one another to find out who is the top dog so speak.

Unfortunaltely tho, if you should have two females and three males in your tank you are heading for trouble with these fish. The males are known to literally chase the females to death in attempting to breeding with them. I have found that 3female to 1male ratio is a better chance of survival for them when not having just an all male tank. JME tho.

take care
brat

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have 2 pairs in my tank. 2 males and 2 females. They're quite peaceful and don't seem to harass my females at all. Maybe it's because I have a small number of them(?). In any case, I find my males showing off more towards each other than to females.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you talking about Iriatherina werneri.

In fish shops they will lack any real colour. Once they are in their new home and especially if they are planted the males will definitely colour up nicely. Females tend to be dull and not as colourful. The females are usually smaller and your small threadfins indeed could be females.

Males will show off to each other and extend their fins and try to out do each other.

Check this site out for more information

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Werneri.htm

And a copy of pictures of my threadfins

1 - 5 of 5 Posts