Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some rocks locally. I put them into a brackish tank and the very top of the tank is showing some "rust-like" colouration. Are these rocks leeching iron and if so is this a very bad thing? Should I replace the rocks?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I don't know if they might be leaching iron or something else, but if the discoloration is caused by the rocks, I'd lose them.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I think it is a good idea to soak a rock in a bucket of water to see what happens before putting it into an aquarium. The acid test, of course, is also a good idea. If you are seeing red rust like color at the top of the tank I doubt that it is from iron. Iron would more likely give black deposits, I'm pretty sure. Red could be from sulfur compounds or even mercury compounds.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank isn't fully setup so I just got some other stones that I normally use. I'm removing the pretty ones.

The rock is from the niagrara escarpment in burlington area. So, I don't think mercury is in this area. Sulfur perhaps.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I would think if it's leaching sulfur you would be able to smell it on the rocks themselves. BTW, most iron test kits are very unreliable - I wouldn't base any info on those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts