Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I may be confused. I want to put a pressurized CO2 system on my tank. I have a diffusor and the line, and CO2 indicator already. Do I just need the tank and a regulator with silenoid? I want to be able to control the amount of CO2 being dispensed and have it turn off at night.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use the solenoid to shut off the co2 at night. Some do leave it on at night and I've yet to figure out why. When plants are not in their photo stage they do not up take co2 but rather up take oxygen. So it just seems like putting co2 into the tank 24/7 is a waste, not to mention a lack of oxygen with the plants taking up oxygen the same time as the fish. I use an ebay 10$ drop checker with 4dkh water, as tom barr suggested. The ph monitor seems a little expensive and overboard when all you really need is a timer and a drop checker.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, this has helped.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
If you want to keep it simple don't bother with a controller. It's just another piece of equiment that you have to set and worry about. I'd much rather just have it go off at night and not worry about my fish. Some might like it, but it's really not necessary. I think more than half simply turn off their co2 at night via the solenoid. So yes you need cylinder, co2 tubing, regulator/solenoid and diffusor. The change in co2 and the effect it has on the water at night is harmless. Most people do 50% water changes which also changes the co2 concentration (much quicker by the way then it slowly changing overnite) and I don't see any problems.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The solenoid is really for use with an sms122 which automates the co2 release based on ph in your aquarium so you would not have to turn off the unit @ night. http://www.water-testers.com/contents/en-us/d108_milwaukee-sms122-ph-controller.html Make sure initially to do small increments of co2 smaller is better untill you find the optimal dosing. See tom Barr for more details on dosing
I don't know if I agree with this 100%. Like others have posted, I use the solenoid to shut off the CO2 at night rather than use it with a controller like the SMS122.

But you'll have no problems if you put the solenoid on a timer to have it go on 1/2 to 1 hour before your lights go on, and have the solenoid turn off 1/2 to 1 hour before your lights go out. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts