Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
i am relatively in the same position, except that my tank is already set up. i'm looking into getting a retrofit kit from www.ahsupply.com (either 2x55w or 2x36w) to fit a truvu hood on a 30G tank. i believe the hood is only 24" long, while the retrofits for the hood are 17.5" for the 36w bulbs and 22" for the 55w. has anyone retrofitted with these kits?

i'm also considering one of the 36" Coralife fixtures and several others. i have not decided on anything yet. the primary reason that i like the ahsupply retrofits is the design on the reflectors, which has a higher reflection ratio than other fixtures. are there noticeable differences in plant growth compared to premade fixtures, such as the Coralife, JBJ, or Satellite fixtures?

i'm a little wary of buying from ahsupply tho becuz you have to purchase the bulbs separately, while the premade fixtures generally include the bulb(s). in the end the ahsupply fixture comes out to be a little pricier. has anyone had experience with the retrofits from ahsupply? i'd like to know your experience with them.

my setup: 30G plexi, 36W total PC lighting, CO2 diffusion using Hagen's natural plant ladder system.

TIA.

· Registered
236 Posts
re: K rating of bulbs, how much of a difference does it make on plant growth? my understanding of it is that plants prefer a 6700K rating. is there any incremental benefit by mixing the use of bulbs with different K ratings?

also, i know that 10,000K bulbs are generally for SW use. is there any benefit to FW plants using this rating?

-r

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.