Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I forrget who it was, but someone mentioned training thier fish who normally leave snails alone to munch on them as a form of snail control. I'm trying this theory out for giggles and so far I'm impressed.
I've got lots of ramshorns and pond snails who are breeding like crazy so I've taken to crushing a few everyday to keep the population under control. My cories go nuts in a feeding frenzy on them. They'll clean out what remains of the shell of a quarter size ramshorn in a minute or two and then I remove the empty shell.
I usually try for the adults to keep the part of the population that can breed down. Still got enough for a self perpetuating group though =)

Anyone else ever try this?

Edit: Here's a pic of my female cory feasting. SOrry for the poor quality, only have a crappy digicam.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm going to have to start going the snail crushing/removing/control route sometime soon. The population is booming. I wonder if my Corydoras pygmaeus would eat them if I crushed them? Nothing like home raised live food, right?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya never know. I haven't noticed my pgymies eating the leftover snail but they might. The peppered cories and ghost shrimp love the escargo ;)

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
While that's interesting, you still have to find them and crush them.

Get a Botia (pufferfish also though I don't have any experience with them). A clown loach for example will clear your tank of snails in an amazingly short period of time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would but then my precious shrimp would likely go bubye as well. I put out a piece of spinach/zuccini/algae wafer or something, let the snails all come out and pick off a few

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow. This is very interesting. I wonder what kind of nutrition snails provide, since they certainly seem like a viable option for home-raised live food.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dunno. Would they have decent value since they eat a lot of vegetable matter (plants and the zuccini/spinach i add for algae eaters)? Not to mention protein and fats

1 - 7 of 7 Posts