Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a cork background for my one of the tanks in my new setup but I'm not sure how to attach it to the glass. I'd use silicone but I don't want to wait for it to dry, I was thinking about hot glue but I'm sot sure about that and I don't want to try using any thing else unless I know it's safe.

So does anybody know a good way to attach it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
People use super glue gel in reef tanks, it's quick to dry and if it is reef safe it's gotta be plant safe :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is the purpose? I'm curious if that would be something java fern could grow on and form a THICK wall. Maybe not?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup I'm using it to attach plants to and make a moss wall, I read somewhere that it's a common practice in dutch style aquascaping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just found out that I can get natural cork bark for pretty cheap and that looks a lot better than the craft sheet things I got so I'm just going to return those and get some of the good stuff, in which case I'll probably just use silicone.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm making a cork background for my one of the tanks in my new setup but I'm not sure how to attach it to the glass. I'd use silicone but I don't want to wait for it to dry, I was thinking about hot glue but I'm sot sure about that and I don't want to try using any thing else unless I know it's safe.

So does anybody know a good way to attach it?
Krak
I thought you were using a sheet of cork on the OUTSIDE of the tank.
Charles

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: Cork bacground

You can use what's called 'natural cork tile'. Sold in various sizes, so you can buy the ones which you don't need to cut. Look for it on Google.

For an example, look at this:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...00-your-opinion-about-my-180-hardscaping.html

It was attached with a liberal amount of aquarium silicone ( Lowe's have it in sqeezable tubes) and pressure was applied with piece of plywood on a cork panel and a piece, say 1x2, against opposite wall. See that you seal around the edges so small fish or snails cannot get trapped behind the cork.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts