Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Cory Habrosus

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JanS 
#1 ·
I just got to tell someone who might be interested! This a.m. I woke up and my cory habrosus are spawning. I've kept them in an outdoor tub all summer and could tell that they were fattening up when I brought them in.
I originally put them in a bare bottomed empty tank and eventually moved them to my planted 20 long and theres eggs this am. Right now they are the only fish in this tank and I think I'll leave it this way for awhile. wwwhooo-hooo!

#4 ·
I moved them to the tank about 2 days ago. And this a.m. a small cool front must of passed through cause we had a little rain. I'm not sure about the temp though because I only have one thermometer and its in a fish only tank that has lots of that green slimey algae growing on rocks and I'm afraid I'll contaminate. My well water is very hard but I am adding CO2 thru a semi diy set-up and excel. Last time I checked the ph was still pretty high according to the color scale. Somewhere around 7.8 I'm afraid though that I may have gotten a little more excited that necessary cause I only see about 3-4 eggs on the aquarium glass. Hoping that they put some on plant leaves that I just can't see.

#6 ·
little baby corys are the cutest things! congratulations!

as soon as i saw the eggs underneath my sword leaves, i gathered them up [g e n t l y] into one of the vented breeding boxes that hangs on the inside.

i have a few old cups half-buried in my 60 gal tank so they can hide from my bigger gouramis.

out of the two older corys i've had for at least 3 years, they've had 3 successful batches of babies with about 7 babies in each. brine shrimp worked wonders for bulking them out :]

#7 ·
I do have the ever popular pond snails! I've spent a lot of time today picking them out of my tank. But either they've eaten the eggs, the eggs are under the plant leaves and I can't see 'um, or they just didn't produce that many. Still see the 3 original ones I saw the morning. At this point I don't think its worth hatching out bb for them, but you're right Anne. Baby brine really help fry grow! Oh well, if at first you don't suceed, yada, yada, yada

#8 ·
That's great news that the 3 original eggs are still there.

Actually, I've found more batches hatch out without my knowledge, than the ones I keep an eye on and try to do what you're supposed to.
I think as long as you have good cover (like lots of mosses), they find plenty to eat, and seem to avoid being eaten.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.