Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got home from school today to see my cories freaking out. I then noticed the female clasping an egg between her two fins (not sure what they're called) and sure enough it was an egg. I continued to watch her as she rubbed up against the glass and deposited the egg. I've read about cories doing this but I had never seen it, it is very entertaining to watch. Does anyone know what they chance of getting some fry to live are? There's nothing in the tank that would eat them so I'm hoping to have some little baby cories soon.
Here's a pic of the egg.

And here's a video of them spawning, mating, freaking out... whatever it was that they were doing here it is.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Congrats!

As long as there's nothing else in the tank, they may have a chance, depending on the parents. If you have any snails in the tank, they will gulp the eggs down as fast as they can too, although I don't see any in the video.

If you can, I'd try to add a mass of moss or something for them to take cover in when they hatch, plus get some nutrients out of before they are old enough to feed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How wonderful! I have a Julii and it is the most entertaining fish in the tank. I bought two more, but, they died within a day. I would love to find more. I found out they are wild caught, and not bred in captivity. I don't know why. Hope your eggs hatch! Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are still laying eggs all over the tank (it's been over a week). I wonder when they will be done. As far as I can tell though none of them have hatched, it seems like something is eating them before they're able to hatch. I haven't been able to catch the culprit either.

·
Registered
299 Posts
To keep the eggs from getting fungus on them you might want to treat the tank with MarOxy or hydrogen peroxide.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None have hatched so far, but the parent's keep laying them all over the place. I'll upload pics if I get any fry but it is highly doubtful. If I had another tank to put them in maybe but alas I do not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts