Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Corys and dark driftwood

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JanS 
I had the same problem in one of my tanks, could not keep Corys alive. I tried another tank with albino Corys and have been successful, no deaths. Both tanks have almost identical water parameters.

houseofcards said:
Trenac,

Did you have alot of malaysian or dark driftwood in the tank.
Because at this point I think that is the problem. I believe my dwart plecos are chewing it up and the corys are ingesting it. I could see the tiny pieces all over the substrate especially near the driftwood.
At the time I had on small piece of malaysian driftwood in this tank but no plecos to chew it up. So in my case I do not think this was the problem. However the tank I have them in now only has rock (petrified wood). In your case its hard to say if the chewed up driftwood is causing the deaths of the corys. If they are injesting the small pieces of wood then it could/may have a ill effect on them, however I do not think that they would consume the wood.

Do you have a lot of open space (free of plants) in your tank where the cories can feed easily?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.