Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi gunk,
IMO you are fine if it goes for stocking.
How long have you had them in this tank? The fact that they "go crazy" when you turn the lights on or approach the tank - means it scares them... Do you have plants in that tank? How densely it is planted? What hiding places do you have in mind? I've noticed my ottos being very jumpy while in my QT - it was 20gal only with one bushy fake plant and some cabomba, but this changed immediately when they got moved to heavily planted tank - which seemed to make them more secure... just my observation.
As for feeding - ottos usually munch on algae that is just starting to grow - mostly ones we don't even see yet, and they seem to prefer that over fully grown algae. I would supplement their diet with algae wafers, vegetables (cucumber, zucchini etc). And yes, don't get discouraged if they don't start eating it immediately - it may take a few days for them (specially if they don't feel comfortable yet)to figure out that these things are eatable and tasty.
Watch your ottos - if they are getting nice round bellies means that they are eating well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, I would not worry about it too much, and would give them some time to get used to a new home.
They can be shy sometimes, and you will hear quite often that people report them being more active after the lights go out. Also, I always had a problem to spot/count all my ottos at the same time - given that I'm not really sure how many I actually have ;) they hide really good.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.