Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this out right now, as you can see from the pictures it looks like it's leaking from several areas on this panel of glass. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have another larger tank outside that I was planning on replacing this one but it's not ready at all. I barely have a stand for it....

PLEASE HELP

[-o< [-o< :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
If its leaking, you're going to have to drain it. Then you can try and reseal the corner or replace it. Whatever you do, do it quickly as you could have quite a mess on your hands if that leak gets out of control.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have to drain it right now, and the break in the silicon is so low I can't just drain it 1/4 of the way and leave it :mad2:

·
Registered
697 Posts
you should be able to drain it to within an inch or two of the bottom, if you're using a siphon. i'm assuming you've taken the plants out and will be taking out the substrate, i would then use a sponge to remove the remaining water. from there you should be able to repair the leak properly. using a sponge to remove the remaining water will take time, but it will get done. i should know, i did this with my 65 gallon. and i had two inches of water to remove... that equaled approx 2 gallons of water.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, how long did that take? I would not have been able to take and just tipped the tank over..

·
Registered
311 Posts
It lookls like it is leaking on a side-seam, and not the bottom.

If your looking for a quick "Getto" repair, I have two words:

Plumbers Goop.

Just drain it down enough so it stops dripping, apply and let sit 6-12 hours, then refill. It will last forever, but as I said, it looks getto.

·
Registered
341 Posts
^^ I second the plumber's goop! I had a side seam that leaked on a small ten gallon once, all I did was smear a ton of new silicone over the old stuff and it worked fine. If this ever happens again to me though, I will either use plumber's goop or else strip out all of the old silicone and reseal! I was very lucky the ten gallon didn't leak later on, as silicone won't stick to itself after curing.

·
Registered
697 Posts
wow, how long did that take? I would not have been able to take and just tipped the tank over..
it took a little over an hour, standing on a small step ladder, with the tv on. but i got it done. i wish i could have tipped it over :p

·
Banned
732 Posts
It’s been so long since I did this and I’m not sure exactly how I did it but it worked really well.

Go to Home Depot and buy a clear wallpaper corner guard. They are a clear plastic corner angle that will fit into the corner of the tank. Remove as much water as you can. Cover the corner angle with silicone cement and press it into the corner of the aquarium that is leaking. When it dries the corner will be stronger than the original corner.

I did this with a 29 gal tank and it lasted for many years and movements. I gave that tank away so it may still be working.

The only thing that I’m not sure of now is whether the silicone glue stuck to the glass under water. I’m pretty sure it did but you might want to test it first.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K, thanks everybody. My first goal is going to be getting my 90g up and running to transfer everything over for right now. Once I do that though I'll try these out and post pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts