Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.
Looking to start my 3rd planted tank and I was curious on what types of techniques other hobbiest use to create the "rolling hills" effect under there substrate. From what I understand the waterpressure will flatten the substrate eventually if not supported.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hairgrass and small echindorus species are killer for this as well. Many small crypts might even be the best solution. THey have powerful root structures.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Some hobbyists like to use rocks, woods, plant roots, acrylic panels, and/or foam moldings, etc. to support terraces. I prefer to use rocks and dress them with moss to hide it. It's long lasting w/o the nuisance of frequent re-terracing.

If you get the chance, then visit your bookstore and/or the LFS' book rack and take a look at Takashi Amano's Nature Aquarium Book 1. There are two detailed examples of how he used rocks and woods to terrace. One of my favorites is the use of this piece of driftwood to create three distinct tiers of plantings.

If you don't want to terrace but still desire the rolling hills effect, then your only option would be through careful prunnings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts