Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I could take a photo but I can't because my cable is at my partner's work and he forgot to take it home with him for the weekend!

My Crinium Callimistratum had a few red patches, at the base of the younger leaves. Now, the red patches are going a bit rotten, to the extent that one of the leaves is only just hanging on.

What's going on and what can I do?

My tank is 100gals, I have 216watts of T5 lighting, approx 30ppm CO2, sand, but I use root tabs, fertilizing EI method. the filters are very mature, I've had the tank running for years. However, I only planted the plants/added proper lighting/CO2 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm measuring my CO2 levels with a 'JBL permanent test'. Soon though, I'm hoping to make things more accurate by using 4dkh solution from aqua essentials, but they're out of stock at the moment.

My photoperiod (that means how long I have the lights on right?) is 12 hours.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is a key that is not much talked about, photo period( yes how long the light are on). All the article say plants need x-x amount of light but we are under totally different circumstances. If you have a long photo period you will have more algae problems, the longer the light is on the harder it is to control. Most leave the light on way to long, try with an eight hour photo period. The shorter the light is on the more forgiving the tank is, the longer the less forgiving. As for the co2 get the 4dhk water asap. You stated the tank was mature before the plants, I'm guessing you have carbon in the filters? Take it out, it just takes away valuable nutrients that the plants need. keep dosing, reading, asking questions and soon the tank will be in line.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ordered the 4dkh solution - back in stock!

Can I split my photoperiod? For example, can I have it on 4 hours in the morning, then a gap when I'm out of the house and not enjoying my fish tank, and then back on for another 4 hours in the evening? Or is that really stupid?

·
Registered
658 Posts
This happened to my C. calamistratum, as well. I'm sad to say that my plant did not make it. The red lesions spread until the bulb rotted.

I know that these plants do not like to be disturbed that often, so do not move it after you pant it.

Did you receive your plant in this condition?

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I use a split photoperiod on all my 7 tanks (for over 3 years now on a couple tanks) and it's never caused me a problem. I've read that it might inhibit algae, but I do it so I can see my tanks in the morning and evening when I'm at home. I have an off period in the middle of the day of about 3-4 hours depending on the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
In regards to your question about photoperiod, I do the same as Catherine (split by 4 hrs rest). I do 5 hrs light, 4 hrs offk, 5 hrs light. Have had wonderful results with this.

-Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you receive your plant in this condition?
no, my plant was perfectly fine when I got it. Sorry to hear your plants didn't make it... I hope that doesn't happen here! They're expensive!

I'm going to do the split photoperiod. I'm not home in the middle of the day anyway and anything that inhibits algae has to be a good thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts