Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Click here for the picture.

Ok, I posted this same pic on the DFWAPC forum and later Carlos asked me to post the pic here for a critique to help this forum continue to be as active as it has been.

So far I had gotten suggestions to make the taller group of rocks leaning, not straight as it is. That makes sense because the 2 groups will be "oposing" each other in a more dramatic way.

Also - at present the JM that I had let grow wild is trimmed as is the Ambulia. The idea is to have moss at the base of the rocks only.

The Hygro is there to serve as a nutrient sponge but if it kept at bay it looks rather nice. I still want to remove it some day.

Someone suggested adding some Ambulia around the short rock group. I do feel that there must be some plant accentuating the shoroter rocks so I will do that soon. Suggestions?

Now, all that being said I still think that the tank will end up lacking something even if I do the changes described above.

Ok, your turn now. :D

--Nikolay

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'd like to see someone else take a stab at this one. I've already told him what I think could be improved. :)

Carlos

·
Registered
179 Posts
A little work.

Yes I see some improve that can be made on some parts of the tank. But overall this can turn out to be a contender.
I'll take a stab at it, give me sometime and I'll have a layout for you.

Later
Ken

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is what I would do.

Like Raul said too much rocks in a narrow tank space. I would look at each rock to see if it helps or hurt the overall of the whole design. The main challenge in a 55 gal is the narrow space of 13".
So each rock must help in creating depth and height without standing out too much or be useless in one corner.
Any rocks laying sideway just takes up planting space unless you are trying to created height by layering. So I removed the large rock on the left back and the one laying down in the middle. The one in the middle should be replaced by small ones to line a path or a valley way of glosso in the middle. Also lower the middle gravel line to make the eye wonder.
I don't like the design of two pile of rock so I moved the rock on the right towards the middle to help form the path to the back.
In your design the space in the middle creates a pause when viewing the tank from left to right. The rock on the far right is moved up to created depth by overlaping the rock in the back.
All the sag in the middle is removed and placed between the rocks along with the Hygro and moss to fill in the space.
I don't show it in the picture, but try leaning the large rock on the middle left the opposite way towards the right.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Nice, Ken! :)

I have a a suggestion, however. Although the overall design of the tank is good, I would do away with the Limnophila aquatica simply because it grows so fast. You would have to be pruning it daily to keep the shape of the two planted mounds of rock. The Hygrophila polysperma also falls into the same category. If you want to keep these areas planted, I would go with smaller leaved, bushier plants of only one, two, or three kinds:

Hemianthus micranthemoides, Ludwigia arcuata, Rotala sp Green, Didiplis diandra, Micranthemum umbrosum all come to mind. Blyxa japonica would also look great.
You may want to leave them unplanted and try creating a sparser look. That's okay, too.

The Java moss, currently, is a bit unruly and takes away from the rock groupings, BTW. Carefully trimming it and spreading it in thinner/less poofy patches would help. The bunch on top of the rock on the right hand side for example, especially.

Carlos

·
Registered
811 Posts
Both Carlos and Ken said what I told Nikolay before.

- Remove Ambulia unless you want to trim on daily basis.

- Position your Main Rock on the left so it will have striking effect rather then resting.

Example: Luiz Navarro sample tank AGA'03

1 - 7 of 7 Posts