Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
specs(will be. tank isn't set up yet)

29 gallon tank.
65 watt power compact light(10K, came with it and I won't need to change it out for a while yet)
DIVIDED DOWN THE CENTRE(the big challenge :( BUT I have 2 male bettas and they can't live together, soooo. .. .)
DIY co2, 2 bottles, one will be on each side.
I'll also be looking into getting dry fertilizers for it for when it gets set up.
I've got some shultz aquasoil covering the bottom of the tank.
Only fish will be my 2 bettas.
I'll also have a small powerhead(if I can find a small enough one that I like at least) behind the plants(for hiding purposes) on each side of the tank that I can plumb the co2 into.

I'm thinking for my scape to do a convex(think that is the right one? High in the middle, low on the sides?) aquascape, so the boys can't see each other.) scape since they won't be able to see each other as well through the divider(makes for less stress that way) I know it'll draw the eyes to the divider, but I can't really think of a better way to minimize their seeing each other all the time.

Hm. My thoughts for plants. I'm really thinking to use Marsilea quadrifolia for my foreground. Stays little, is pretty and is dark green. Perfect! For the main "display" plant in the middle of the tank, I really like Myriophyllum mattogrossence, and I've heard that it is pretty easy to grow. "around" that, towards the back and going towards the sides of the tank(sloping downwards some), I was thinking about getting either some Bacopa carolinia, or monnieri, the latter grows a bit slower(from what I've read) but I like the leaf shape of the carolinia better. In front of that, moving forward around the Myrio, I was going to use Rotala rotundifolia. I REALLY like that one, and one of the local stores to me has a lot in right now(not healthy, but alive at least. It can always grow in my tank :)) Then to "cap" the front of that, for something lower, try some Lobelia cardinalis small form, and/or some Hygrophila compact. I've got some of the Hygro(they had it in tubes at the same store I can get the rotala from) so if I can get more or if it will grow enough that I can split it and make it into bushes, great, if not I can mix it with the Lobelia. And if I can find some room for it someplace, maybe some Hemianthus micranthemoides, since I love the way it looks(though I don't have my heart set on getting any of that!)

I still don't have enough posts to put up a picture yet, or I'd be able to draw it out, but I kinda hope someone can understand what I'm trying to get at to say if they think it'll work or not? Hopefully someone else can understand what I'm trying to say, or at least tell me if those plants will do okay in my lighting/equipment :)

Oh, and one other question, how much maintenance do the plants need? I know the constant ferts and water changes, but how about pruning? Will they be easy enough to keep looking decent between prunes, or will I be constantly trimming things to keep them looking nice? If that's the case I might just stick with my original idea of leaving a bit of foreground clear for them and just plant random vals and "bushes" of plants so they have something more interesting to swim through instead of trying to make it look nice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you do a DIY rock background... you can make the divider in the center with holes or cuts in it so water can get though but no the fish. And set up your water flow so it still circulates well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought no one was going to respond to this too. Hm. I actually was looking at how much I am getting back in taxes and how much I'd need to buy for my reef tank and decided to stay with my 29 as my planted, but to leave my bettas in their 20 and just get some low tech plants for it instead.

I'm going to do a completely different scape in the 29 than what I was planning on. Still mostly stems, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts