Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this CRS tank for about 9 months. When the light turned on this morning, i saw my shrimps were eating a dead shrimp. There was an empty shell next to them too. I have been noticing some shrimps are missing, so i guess this is not the first one. My question is, what went wrong? Do you think it molded and then got jumped by others? Or am I not feeding them enough? I always feed them twice a week, but since my shrimps have been breeding, so maybe i should feed a bit more... Also, can i just let them eat the dead shrimp or the dead body will course problems?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can't say for sure why since I have had a limited amount of time with CRS but I don't think it would hurt to do so. Maybe the shrimps are simply cleaning up after the shrimp died overnight. Hopefully someone else can provide a better explanation. Is it everyday or a once-in-a-while thing?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it's once a while, but some of the shrimps that i started the tank with are missing as well. However, they are old enough to die of natural causes, so I don't know.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with the above. CRS will only eat dead CRS. I can't say whether it's healthy or not to eat a dead CRS, but unless you are interrupting some kind of CRS religious burial right, then I would go ahead and remove it before it starts to rot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shrimp are notorius for eating anything, including dead shrimp or fish. Unless they are filter feeders all shrimp will feed on plant or animal matter (specially if dead and not moving). I would agree with nailfishguy , it probably died while molting.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I feed once a day. Just enough that they eat in a couple hours, no more. Sometimes I will skip a day to let them fast and clean out their systems. Twice a week isn't enough in my opinion....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.