Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its been a month now and things seem to be going pretty well, i have 3 CRS and 3RCS.

water:
temp.75 degrees
nitrate-<5ppm
pH-6.6-6.8
GH~4
KH~1,2
no ammonia or nitrite

this is what i add to the water and a couple drops of bacteria i got from justin at ocean aquarium

this is what i feed them. i also feed them algae wafers, forgot to put the bag of algae wafers i had in the pic. the shrimp havent been eating the CRS food but seem to love the crab cuisine so i stoped feeding crab cuisine, starved them a couple days and i'm now trying to train them to eat algae wafers since wafers and CRS food seem to be kind of alike.

full tank pic. plants have grown a bit. around 2 weeks ago i wanted to put shrimp in but the pH was <6.0 so i asked the guys at AFA. they told me the kH of my water might have been too low so they suggested me to add some rocks. now my ph is 6.6-6.8 which is perfect for CRS.

CRS was added about a week ago

what grade do you think the 2 CRS above are? A/B?

heres a berried cherry cleaning its eggs.

i will be getting about 15 CRS from a friend very soon and i will put the cherries in my 2.5. please leave a comment and let me know if i could make any improvements.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
things are going pretty well, i found a berried female CRS couple days ago and i took out the cherries. water parameters havent changed its still around the same. i just got 6 C/B grade CRS from a friend today here are couple pictures:

pic of berried CRS. sorry for the quality of the pic. it was the best i could do.

male CRS. i've had him for around a month now

newly added C grade

oto w/ berried CRS in the back

heres a full tank pic.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PLEASE leave a comment!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have 2 HOB filters loaded with biomedia the ones you see in the tank are extras i just threw in there for shrimp to hide and to weigh down the spinach i feed them

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill put up some new pics when i get some fry. yea the glass dish is for feeding. i didnt want the left over food to be left in the aquasoil because rotting of food will shorten the lifespan of aquasoil. some choose to stir and replace soil, some like to use a dish. i do both because the CRS like to carry the food around and eat around the dish instead of inside of the dish, but the dish definitely helps.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theres java moss, willow moss, stringy moss, and christmas moss.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks good. The shrimp must love all the cover they have. Congrats on the berried CRS already. Good luck and keep us posted...more pics!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
female CRS have been hiding for the past week but i foudn her yesterday night and the eggs she was carrying looked a lot bigger and darker. today when i got home from school she was extremely active. from my experience with other shrimp usually berried females like to hide. this is a very unexpectedcharacteristic.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everything is going well except the other day i check the water parameters and the pH was at 7.2 and nitrate was at around 5 ppm. i took out the rock that raised the pH of the water and the pH went down to 7 the next day.i havent checked yet today but im sure its a lot lower now. the nitrate went up probably because the purigen is exhausted. i'll replace it when i get a chance. i also trimmed the plants a bit yesterday. heres what it looks like now:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that was after a trim too

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oops i forgot to mention, i added some purple bamboo yesterday

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The eggs hatched! i got my first batch of baby CRS on saturday night. i also sold all the stem plants in the tank and replaced them with 3 types of polygonums. the current water parameters are:
ammonia&nitrite:0
GH:5
KH:1
pH:~6.2 (the CRS got a lot more active when the pH dropped)

here are some pictures:

·
Registered
195 Posts
nice you have babies! I can't wait for my shrimp to have babies. Even though they are not the expensive crs you have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts