Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Depending on your setup, you can do water slow, frequent water changes. All of my shrimp tanks are on a system where the tap water goes through a house filter, then into two 44gal Rubbermaid garbage cans. The water in the cans has large airstones and heaters (for the winter months). Early this summer we had a surprise 95+ weekend and our A/C died the day before! Even though the shrimp were in the basement, all the tanks jumped to 83 degrees. I basically drained the stored water, let the cold tap water refill (~73 degrees off the street) and let the impurities and chlorine filter out. By the end of the last day of the heat wave I was able to keep the temps to around 76 degrees. The next day the A/C was fixed. In the end I only lost 1 berried CRS (of course) and a berried Blue Pearl.. the rest of masses of shrimp were spared.

Obviously this isn't a solution for most, but perhaps can give some other options for all of you living in the heat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, none that I can prove by research haha. I will say that adding an air stone (mine is a 3" ball) it likely creates circulation so the water heats faster and more evenly. If I take too long to replace the carbon insert in the house water filter, the aeration will help get rid of chlorine and/or other gases that may be present.

The downside is that it will also assimilate the water to room temperature quicker too, which is why I turned it down when I was doing the long water changes to lower the temperatures.

This is all in "theory" though... I have not taken the time to measure anything other than temperatures. If someone can see a flaw that I've overlooked please help me before I am the demise to hundreds of shrimp haha.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.