Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been reading this site for a bit but this is my first post. I started planting my tanks almost a year ago and I'm having problems with my smallest, a 2.5 gallon betta tank. The tank was started over a year ago. It started unplanted, then had java moss (got rid of it due to algae problems and it was ugly) and in November I planted one Anubias nana and one Crypt. wendtii. The C. wendtii was growing okay, but the last two leaves it grew look twisted and crumpled. I have C. wendtii in my 5.5 and 10 gallon tanks and it is not showing this. The Anubias appears fine.

My tank specs are:
2.5 gallon Mini-Bowfront tank (the kind you can get at walmart)
original mini Whisper filter
replaced incandescent light with compact flourescent
Heater set at 77 F
one male betta and a bunch of hitchhiking snails that have been eating almost every trace of algae
one Anubias nana and one Crypt. wendtii
regular fish gravel substrate
weekly 25% water changes
Fertilizer: Won Freshwater Green Plant Sol- 1 to 2 drops a week following water change

Ammonia:0 Nitrite:0 Nitrate: 15 (due for water change today)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I like to say welcome to APC :) Why don't you go to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

If the Crypt leaves along the edges have a crimped look then that is normal.

If the entire Crypt leaf is twisted then this could be a sign of calcium defeciancy.

Try putting a root tab underneath the Crypt, this will help.

·
Registered
852 Posts
In my experience, the kind of stunting you describe can be caused by many things. What's your tapwater like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to my cheap Jungle test strips, my water has a ph between 7.2-7.8, hardness (GH) a little less than 150 ppm, and total alkalinity (KH) of 120 ppm. The ranges between the colors are pretty wide, so take that with a grain of salt. It's well water, so it's straight from the ground to my tap.

My fert says it contains calcium- am I just not using enough? On another note, since every plant I have is a crown plant, are root tabs better anyways?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts