Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Richy, Can you explain? I've never heard that crypts could be toxic.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I've had shrimp and crypts together for a couple of years. The crypts have twice melted on me in different tanks, even, and haven't seen any shrimp or fish loss.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have to admit that I'm very skeptical -- It would be nice to see what those more scientific/biologic would have to say about this.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Well, this is what HeyPK of this site had to say about this theory:

Oxalate should not be very dangerous, except in high concentrations. Oxalate works by tying up calcium and depriving the organism of calcium. If you lived on a 100% diet of spinach, you could get into trouble, because you would get enough oxalate to tie up nearly all the calcium in your diet, and you would not absorb any. An occasional helping of spinach is no problem. The same should be true for shrimp.
Thanks HeyPK! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
ah, in that case, crypts and anubias should be nothing to worry about. Many people feed their crystal red shrimps with spinach.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yep, Shalu -- and the funny thing is that I've avoided spinach with my shrimp (and advised caution with spinach) for that reason, not knowing it was Oxalate until HeyPK said that (also knowing that many are successful feeding spinach to their shrimp). So, interesting! :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I lost two japonica/Amano shrimp, and at least one red-nosed shrimp since Thrusday 6/9. Moving in a red crypt wendtii was the only change, so I yanked it and did two 50% pwc (yesterday and today). Might be coincidence, but just sharing experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts