1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my latest pico project ... curvilinear II
It's a glass cylinder about two gallons and "The Stump",
w/ white sand & white stones.
The plants are Anubias Nana Petite, Java fern & a little Xmas moss.
The lighting is an MR16 fixture with a 5 watt 6000K LED lamp.
The LED & white sand overexposes the pics :Cry: making more washed out than it really looks.
Let me know what you think ... or if you have any ideas on improvements.

-Rick

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I like how you've tucked the anubias around the stump roots. The white sand is really bright in the pics, does it look that way in person?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like how you've tucked the anubias around the stump roots. The white sand is really bright in the pics, does it look that way in person?
The white sand is pretty bright, but I'm sure it will tone down some as the tank ages & the plants fill in better. I'm thinking I might want to add more anubias around the stump roots, it looks a little sparse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Slight re-scape today, moved the java fern & added more anubias. Someone suggested I add more twigs. I may have overdone it with the twigs in front, though.

Added 1 CRS & 1 Green Caridina Shrimp. Just wanted to try them out to see how shrimp do in this tank, hopefully one or both will do well.

-Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Frogsbit is also also supposed to help suppress :boxing: algae growth ...
Forgive my stupidity, but frogsbit is the plant floating on the top? my tanks are overrun with this at the moment, never knew what it was called.

Your tank is stunning, could we see it next to some objects to see how small it really is?

-Liia

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here's my latest pico project ... curvilinear II
It's a glass cylinder about two gallons
Beautiful tank! Thanks for the info on the LED light - very interesting.

A note about the type of tank. Couple years ago, I used a similar tank to carry out an experiment. As you can see in the photo below, the water level was not even as high as that in your set-up.

But one day I heard a noise. Then looked around and discovered that the tank had cracked. Nothing hit the tank - it just cracked by itself. Good thing I was around when it cracked. I immediately emptied the tank and took the following photo.

I picked up the tank from a craft store and I don't recall ever seeing those tanks filled with water on display. Could it be that tanks of such thin wall are not intended for holding water? Of course, it could also be how I placed the tank - I placed it on a bookshelf and there was no cushion between the tank and the shelf.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Forgive my stupidity, but frogsbit is the plant floating on the top? my tanks are overrun with this at the moment, never knew what it was called.
Your tank is stunning, could we see it next to some objects to see how small it really is?
-Liia

Hello Liia,
Here is a picture of the tank next to a 12 OZ (355mL) soda can to give some size perspective.

Beautiful tank! Thanks for the info on the LED light - very interesting.
A note about the type of tank. Couple years ago, I used a similar tank to carry out an experiment. As you can see in the photo below, the water level was not even as high as that in your set-up.
But one day I heard a noise. Then looked around and discovered that the tank had cracked. Nothing hit the tank - it just cracked by itself. Good thing I was around when it cracked. I immediately emptied the tank and took the following photo.
I picked up the tank from a craft store and I don't recall ever seeing those tanks filled with water on display. Could it be that tanks of such thin wall are not intended for holding water? Of course, it could also be how I placed the tank - I placed it on a bookshelf and there was no cushion between the tank and the shelf.
:faint: WOW bartoli, I'm sorry your tank cracked, I hope my tank does not suffer the same fate! :eek:

The plants are doing well so far and I also added a couple of groups of HC.
I have been dosing 0.5 mL of Excel daily & 0.5 mL of Flourish micro trace supplement every other day.

-Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant see the pics would really love to with all the good feed back
Sorry you were not getting pictures. I attached a couple a different way so maybe you can view.

-Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More updated pictures

:fish2: I won three Dageti Killifish at a SCAPE auction as well as a couple of plants and added them to my 2G pico tank.
The new plants are Patamogeton gayi & thin leaf Java Fern.
It's starting to get that jungle look now, and the fish & shrimp seem to enjoy.

Quite a change from where the tank started ...V...

-Rick

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ultra-modern! I really like that!

I also like that you're a Dr. Pepper drinker! Haha...beatiful tank!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts