Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to buy a set of coralife aqualight to setup a freshwater plant tank, did some research, found out only two things matter: 1. watts/per gallon, 2. kelvin color temperature.

Then got into a little bit more about compact fluorescent bulbs, just want to see how much those cost, and amazingly, found out those outdoor security compact fluorescent lights are well suited in above two essential conditions to setup a freshwater plant tank.

any 65w+(if it is not enough, just add several bulbs), 6500k kelvin temperature compact fluorescent light (for garden lights, or out door security lights... ) may work for a freshwater plant tank. homedepot shopping will give you some nice choice, they have varies daylight compact fluorescent bulbs (and lamps) which are 6500k...

anybody think it is a good idea to hang a outdoor security light above the tank? it may look awful, but it is cheap.....

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Since the bulb is designed differently, are you really getting all the light in the tank? Seems it would be a lot of loss in lighting

·
Registered
232 Posts
My only concern is that the fixture is short and therefore the bulbs are all concentrated in one spot, essentially creating a point light source. You may have problems with uneven coverage with the lights located a couple inches over the tank. I rlaize that most of these lights are designed as flood lights but the dispersal pattern is still relatively small at short distances from the fixture.

Otherwise, I don't see a problem with them.

Charlie

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
End the hassle of trying to setup custom light, just got a completed set of JBJ Formosa Power Compact DX 36'', with 2x96watt compact fluorecent bulbs and flip-top stands.
Not new, but just like new, from craigslist. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts