Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my attempt in Wabi Kusa. Should I put an air stone or any other type of filtration? How often are people doing water changes on these?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow! That is really original! :D
Personally I haven't had mine for so long but when the water starts to smell or look bad I guess - since you have no animals to worry about.
Some circulation might be good but the question is if it destroys the look of it...how big is that "tank" btw?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tank is 22" x 11" x 8"tall. It is made out of 1/4 acrylic. I made the stand after I decided on the aquascape and made the support lopsided. The light is an Osram 13w PC that came stock in the fixture that was purchased from IKEA for $15. All of the plants were collected from Shoal Creek in Austin, Texas. With acception to A. frazeri and A. nana "petite".

I understand Anubius will lose its aquatic leaves and grow new emergent ones?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Bacarlile--

That's an awesome Wabi Kusa!! As turtle mentioned, you can siphon off some water if it smells bad, but ideally, you really shouldn't get much of an odor. It should smell like an aquarium; just a VERY SLIGHT "pond" smell....it shouldn't smell rank, or like sulphur.

Otherwise, you could just scoop some of the water out with an old plastic cup, and top it off with clean water. Don't bother with the airstone; it shouldn't need it! Also, the anubias leaves should look the same as the submersed form, but you will get very nice flowers from it! Another good plant for a Wabi Kusa is lobellia cardinalis, as the emmersed form will send out a beautiful scarlet flower! It's very cool!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don't encourage this guy. He licks salt for a living. Kidding. looks good, man. You going to put fish in it?

David

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I agree with Dave (not about the "salt" part): I think that you should at least put a few Amano shrimp in there to keep the submersed growth free of algae......maybe some microrasboras too? Just a thought!

·
Registered
168 Posts
wow i just realised 22 inches is massive!
i just finished my new product "wk-start"
it is substrate plus pot in one packadge ;), do you mind telling us how you arranged the substrate here and what you used
also can we have a closer fts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DonaldmBoyer Thanks for the info, I love Lobellia Cardinalis. I tried putting 2 amanos, and 2 cherry shrimp in the day after I set it up, they died. I guess I jumped the gun a little, I'll try again soon. The tank runs at 70 degrees so it is a little cool, but can't amanos live down to 65 degree temps?

FelixAvery Putting a pic on your site would be great. I followed your thread and Steven Chongs as well as a little inspiration from the 2006 ADA catalog. As for substrate, I used a Dupla fert. tablet and some Dupla laterite mixed into my local river mud. In central Texas, we have limestone in pretty much everything, so I added a small piece of wood to soften the water.

Davidlim Yes, I am coming over to the "greenside". I have such a love hate relationship with reefs, so I'm going to stay green for a while. Keep a look out for a thread on my new ADA tank, It will sit on a custom walnut stand and have all of the ADA accesories (lilly pipe, CO2 beatle, Solar 150) etc.

freakmonkey1423 Thanks for the kind words.

I didn't know there would be so much interest in this little thing, I'll take some more pics and post them. I have been looking for an excuse to use my new D40x.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is Jeff and Mike hooking you up with ADA stuff? I'd like to see your ADA setup once you get good pictures of it. I've only got a 58g now, and am too busy to really maintain it anymore. How thick is the plexi 1/4"?

Let's see some progress pics over time. I'd be interested in how things turn out.

BTW... brian is one of the best saltwater guys in Austin. Not to cause trouble or anything, but he knows his dooey when it comes to SW.

David

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this cheating? I made another wabi out of a little acrylic tank and drilled holes in the back of it and glued two pieces of ridgid airline tubing. I attached a Tom aquatics "aqualifter" and installed an inline fuel filter that I got at Autozone. Before attaching it, i filled it partially with some carbon and a little Seachem purigen. This may be going a little over board, but I thought it would be fun. The hard scape isn't done yet, as i hate the stones that I bought. I am going to look for some tomorrow.

Your thoughts, criticisms?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The latest WK seems to be a bit "overwhelming" for the tank it's in. I would suggest something other than bamboo......I'll hold off judgement on the second one until you finish it :D The first one you did remains my favorite WK, though! You did an excellent job on the first one, and I would assume the second one will be fine too once it is redone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Donald, Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I'll save the bamboo for a longer flatter tank. I just discovered a new pond store here in Austin that i am going to visit this weekend to look for those perfect plants, and rocks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts