Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have outbreak of cyanobacteria in my tank. What are the main causes and how can I treat them. Which treatment will damage my plants and the whole tank less??
Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
The common Cyano slimes in aquaria (Oscillatoria, Phormidium, are related ones) can look red-purple, blue-green, or greenish-black depending on water and light conditions. Treatment is the same regardless of color. Hydrogen peroxide can also help kill it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
what's the regiman for the erythromycin treatment (how many mg for gallon?) and for the H2O2?
I dosed 2.5mg/L erythromycin daily for 1 week. I also monitored the ammonia levels during the treatment; there are some instances of the cycle being affected though mine wasn't. Surface of the water will be foamy during treatment due to the dead BGA so a water change before each treatment will address that and additional aeration can also help.

For H2O2, I only spot treated with it using around 5ml to treat my 33 gallon tank (I'm using only a small amount since what I have is 6% not the commonly used 3%). And I turned off the filter and powerheads for around 15-20 minutes before the treatment. Let it fizz for half an hour then water change.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Let me wake up an old thread hear.

I had not had a problem with Cynobacteria for probably the last 20 years, back when I was running over a hundred tanks. At that time whenever it hit I did treat with erthomyician that was sold in pill form. I remember buying them in bottles off 250 pills that were available on the professional end for pet stores and breeders. I no longer deal at the level and am actually, reducing to under a dozen tanks now.

But I have been with Cyanobacteria in my large show planted tank (120 gallons) It has been an off on problem which I thought might be more light related but even after cuttng back the light did not help. Today I did a search of local pet and aquarium store and found two boxes of API's Erythromycin with 10 packets each of a powder. There is no mention of what the actual dosage is in each but they recommend 4 treatments of 1 pack per 10 gallons per treatment. They also recommend it for Fin and Tail Rot, Open Red Sores, Mouth Fungus, and Bacterial Gill Disease, but not Cynobacteria. So should I be dosing differently?

Is there a less expensive way of getting getting Erythromycin I know I need will probably need more but at the prices I'm seeing it cost me more than $100US to clean this up on just one tank.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
For treating fish disease, it's best to move the fish to a smaller tank or dip them.

For cyano, it's best to manually remove, spot treat with H2O2, and fix lighting and flow.
Snails will eat them also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.