Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36 gallon bowfront that's almost cycled, and am having a hard time deciding what fish to put in when it's ready. Water is soft, slightly acidic. Tank is heavily planted on one end and across 1/2 the back length, moderately planted at the other end, but there's lots of open space in the center & front. I already have a few cory cats, and once my java moss foreground has grown in and I'm sure the water is stable, I'd like to add a few RCS.

This week :D I'm leaning toward a school of celestial pearl danios and a small group of long-finned zebra danios. I've never had danios and almost everything I read says they're prone to jumping. Just how jumpy are they? My tank has a 15"x2" opening near the back for the hanging filter, etc. I can get some plexi to cover most of it, but even if I cut it to fit around the filter it'll never be 100% "jump proof".

Question 2: any suggestions for a third showy fish that would be a single specimen or just a pair? I thought about a pearl gourami, but don't want anything that will eat and/or frighten the CPDs into hiding all the time. I also don't want anything that's too fussy/delicate.

So many fish choices: not enough tanks! Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
LOL! I hear ya....

I'm thinking the zebra danio's might be a bit much for the Galaxies, both with their activeness and being quite a bit bigger.

I've never kept the long finned zebras, but I've never had much trouble with the regular ones jumping out of my filter opening, and I'm guessing the long fins probably aren't as good jumpers with the fins to slow them down.

If you decide to go with the galaxies, it's pretty much going to limit what type of show fish you can have in the tank too.

Without them, the pearl gourami would be a nice choice.
A couple of other thoughts would be an Angel, Rams, Apisto's, dwarf gourami's, or maybe a school of harlequin rasboras.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the info. Good to know I won't have danios flying out of the filter opening!

I had sort of eliminated gouramis (and especially male/female groups) because I thought they'd be too aggressive for the CPDs, but it sounds like CPDs either need to be in a species tank or only with other really tiny passive fish.

Back to the drawing board!:pout:

·
Banned
732 Posts
I have marble hatchet fish and they are extreme jumpers! I cut a Plexiglas cover to fit around my filter inlet and outlets using a coping saw. It is not 100% but I haven’t lost a fish.

In my days with zebras, I don’t remember them being that jumpy. In fact I’d say that you are more likely to have too many of them around as they are extremely prolific. They would throw off so many eggs in my community aquarium that dozens would get sucked into the side box filter where they hatched and I could raise them until they got big enough to put into the tank.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I have marble hatchet fish and they are extreme jumpers!
You sure have that right! Every last one of mine did the "suicide" jump even through the small opening by the filter. That was over time, but every so many months I'd find another plastered to the floor if I wasn't right there when it happened. I finally gave up on them because of it....

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I've had giant danios jump through a tiny hole I didn't think they could fit through(I think it was because one of my cats kept startling them). I've never had a problem with my long fin danios jumping and I keep them in an open top tank.

Oh yeah, I hear you about the hatchet fish. I've had them jump out of the tank when I had lifted the glass cover to feed them. Now I have egg crate over their tank and so far they're staying in the tank. Since I can feed them through the crate I only have to worry when I'm cleaning or rearranging the tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Startled by cats you say? Hmmm... maybe I'd better cut some plexi after all! The corys have adjusted and ignore them for the most part. I think they only startle now when they're in the mood for fun.

BTW, I decided on longfins with a school of glowlight rasboras. That should keep the cats occupied for hours on end. They come in tomorrow!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. I can't seem to get the picture to post. I've tried "attaching" and "inserting" to the link. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.