Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36 gallon bowfront that's almost cycled, and am having a hard time deciding what fish to put in when it's ready. Water is soft, slightly acidic. Tank is heavily planted on one end and across 1/2 the back length, moderately planted at the other end, but there's lots of open space in the center & front. I already have a few cory cats, and once my java moss foreground has grown in and I'm sure the water is stable, I'd like to add a few RCS.

This week :D I'm leaning toward a school of celestial pearl danios and a small group of long-finned zebra danios. I've never had danios and almost everything I read says they're prone to jumping. Just how jumpy are they? My tank has a 15"x2" opening near the back for the hanging filter, etc. I can get some plexi to cover most of it, but even if I cut it to fit around the filter it'll never be 100% "jump proof".

Question 2: any suggestions for a third showy fish that would be a single specimen or just a pair? I thought about a pearl gourami, but don't want anything that will eat and/or frighten the CPDs into hiding all the time. I also don't want anything that's too fussy/delicate.

So many fish choices: not enough tanks! Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the info. Good to know I won't have danios flying out of the filter opening!

I had sort of eliminated gouramis (and especially male/female groups) because I thought they'd be too aggressive for the CPDs, but it sounds like CPDs either need to be in a species tank or only with other really tiny passive fish.

Back to the drawing board!:pout:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Startled by cats you say? Hmmm... maybe I'd better cut some plexi after all! The corys have adjusted and ignore them for the most part. I think they only startle now when they're in the mood for fun.

BTW, I decided on longfins with a school of glowlight rasboras. That should keep the cats occupied for hours on end. They come in tomorrow!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. I can't seem to get the picture to post. I've tried "attaching" and "inserting" to the link. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts