Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Dantra's ADA 60p Journal

10K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  doubleott05 
#1 ·
I started a journal in September and thought I'd share it with the forum in hopes that it will help other individuals who would like to do the same. I have posted some pics of the journal in other threads here, however I'll post them in the order it was done from beginning to present. ;) Please keep in mind this is my first planted tank ever and of course first journal.

I started building a stand for my ADA 60p . I still have to install the "Euro Hinges", sand it down as I apply wood filler to try and make it seamless so that the laminate (Formica) applies smoothly.

Clearly my inspiration and blueprint comes from Jason Baliban. I too ordered the laminate (Formica) from Lowe's. Thanks Jason.

EDIT** Finally finish the stand. I decided to paint it as opposed to finishing it with formica. I'll just hold on to the formica for another project.

Rough finish

Primed

Finished product

Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 10lb CO2 tank that I purchased here, a Rex regulator with an Ideal needle valve I've order about two years ago but never got around to using because of renovations, sale and purchase of a home and not to mention the move and more renovations.

So finally, I'm able to relax and start my planted aquarium. :D

I'll begin with the pipe I used to hang the Tek lights from:

This little guy was great at getting the shavings nice and smooth:

When I was done with that, I put the cable through the pipe after bending it of course Oh, I also used some old hole covers (spares that were laying around) for the end of the pipe from my leather office chair.

When both sides were done, I screwed the brackets on the back of the stand for the poles and this is the end result:

Here is a closer look at the leveler:

#3 ·
This is what it looks like from the side. I decided to go with the One Point Adjustable Cable Hanging Kit. The cable is so long that you can see the extra in the tank:

This is what the setup looks like:

Here's another shot:

Bending the pipes was very simple. I've actually been to Home Depot so many times that the manager knows me. I used/purchased ½" conduit pipe for the lights and a ½" wide pipe bender. After I used the pipe bender I went to Home Depot for some usual household items and told the manager that I had purchased a pipe bender, used it once and didn't need it anymore. Surprisingly the manager told me to bring it back for a refund if I wanted to. Wow, talk about service!

I took it back and got a refund. It kind of reminded me of Tom Barr suggesting to use the pipe bender then returning it for a refund. That manager is awesome.

Dan

#4 ·
One more thing, my wife actually got me so many things for the aquarium that I couldn't possibly use it all. She surprised me with the Tek Lights, Eheim 2217 canister filter and so many other things. I was just thinking about, "maybe", "perhaps" getting some of the things I had on my list but leave it to my wife to thank me for the new place, that she actually bought some of the stuff on the list. I didn't have the heart to disappoint her because I have no intentions on using some of it.

This is what she purchased for me without my consent… imagine that. Now that I think about it, she was sort of asking me a lot of questions about the tank months ago. I rambled on about some thing I thought I may want to try but they were just thoughts. I guess she took them seriously. This is what she got me "WITHOUT" my knowledge:

She also got me this:

Unfortunately she also purchased this for me:

This was from a group order I placed a while ago with A. Hill. (Haven't used it yet)

I got the Potassium Permanganate to wash the crap off of the plants when I actually get them in. The Alum was given to me by a biology major.

Dan

#5 ·
Here is my CO2-10lb tank with the regulator attached I got from Rex Grigg . If you are wondering why the dual Ideal Needle Valves, It's because I was originally planning on going with two aquariums. Be that as it may, it really is a simple fix. I modified the regulator to just one needle valve.

These are the check valves and the CO2 tubing I got from Rex.

Dan

#6 ·
ha ha i got my plans from jason balibian
i wish i could afford plastic laminate its so expensive.
your stand looks great
mine needs to be painted then it will DOMINATE THE WORLD....
i mean it will hold a tank

good job man

Elliot

PS those euro hinges are a royal pain in the butt arnt they. well i had to mount two doors i guess thats y and i had to route my wood with a drill(not fun)

#7 ·
@ Elliot, yes I agree, before I got the right sized drill bit to use for hinges, it was a disaster. I just went out and purchased the right sized bit and my world made sense again.

I was experimenting with CO2. I got my hands on a Cal Aqua Labs CO2 diffuser at about the same time I bought the regulator. I got it shipped to me from Asia somewhere, I think it was Singapore although I'm not sure. Its been so long since I purchased it (I bought it directly from the manufacturer).

A friend of mine found out I was finally going to get my aquarium up and running and offered me a (never used) Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103. He been into saltwater aquariums for over 25 years. He had it sitting in his closet collecting dust and thought I would get a kick out of using it.

Now comes the two methods of CO2 injection I'm contemplating using. The first method is the Cal Aqua inline diffuser.

And of course, the second method which is the Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103 pump usually used for skimmers.

I decided to go with the Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103 pump. The way this needle wheel pump breaks up CO2 is awesome.

Dan

#8 · (Edited)
After it was all said and done, here is what I wound up with:

Here an updated photo of the above scape:

Here are the obligatory pearling pics: (some of these photos are pretty crappy so be kind) ;)

However, the scape above didn't last long because I experienced a power outage. You can read about it here.

Dan

#9 ·
Well, after I regrouped, I took the tank in a different direction. I had a bag of ADA Bright Sand laying around and decided to use some of it. The tank was redone the first week in October.

It went from this:

To finally this, this is what it looks like today:

If you are wondering what reddish looking plant was in the tank in its early days, it was Ludwigia Guinea (Ludwigia senegalensis). The reason I'm not using Ludwigia senegalensis in the tank anymore is because it grew like a weed. I grew too fast for my taste.

I am really considering filling in the right side of the tank with a different plant that has a splash of red. You can't really tell from this photo but the right side is basically empty. (trying to figure out what to fill it in with) :confused: The tank is pretty young and is still filling in so I'm rearranging things as I get new plants in.

Texex94, once again I would like to thank you for the plants you sent me. I'm extremely grateful!

Dan

#10 ·
Early November I got some Espeis from invertz that arrived tuesday November 3, in great condition I might add and by thursday November 5, they were spawning. Here are some photos of the Espeis spawning.

I was shocked that the spawning started so soon. They really colored up well and they have a hardy appetite. So far the Espeis have eaten with enthusiasm frozen brine shrimp, frozen chopped mysis shrimp, frozen chopped blackworms and flakes.

They spawned under these leaves (Lobelia cardinalis...Non dwarf):

There were times when three would get together and spawn all at once:

There were eggs just about under every leaf however I've never seen any fry anywhere. I think because of the pearling of the plant and the oxygen bubbles caught under the leaves probably dried out the eggs or affected them in a way to prevent hatching. By the way, I gave the Rasbora Espei away late November.

Dan

#12 · (Edited)
i sure hope you used the inline diffuser i got two of them i like them so much but from my experience you need to have the diffuser in the dark or algae will get into it and make it horribly hard to clean.

great tank i cant wait till mine is up

good job
Thanks Elliot. I actually went with the Eheim (needle wheel pump). Much easier to deal with and I really don't have to worry about cleaning it so much.

When I arrive home on Wed Dec 30, I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me, 4 German Blue Rams.

Two things that came to mind almost immediately, they weren't sexed so I just may have wound up with all males or all females. Secondly, I know I won't be able to keep all of them. I will keep a pair and either sell or give away the other two. (that's if they all survive).

I purchased the German Blue Rams unsexed so I'm sort of at a loss about the Rams I received. I know I definitely have one female but it ends there. Any help would be welcomed.

These was taken Dec 31:

Jan 01, 2010 they remain a bit shy. For the most part they still swim in a shoal. I think once the Rams become comfortable, they will develop sort of a social order with the dominate male taking over.

These were taken today Jan 02. I noticed as they become comfortable with there environment they start to color up nicely. Not to mention they have had mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and flake foods.

Dan

#14 ·
I actually painted mine. I didn't have a router at the time so I decided to paint it. I had a really difficult time leveling the stand. For some reason, that part of the stand that was a pain for me. I see your stand is nice and level. I guess the wood I used was probably off but I can't see how. I thought it was the floors but the floors are perfect. Anyway, I got it level with a lot of sanding.

Dan

#17 ·
Its made of neoprene. Just google it and you can find it relatively cheap, pennies on the dollar. Its very inexpensive but like anything else it depends where you purchase it from.

Dan

#21 · (Edited)
Very nice Dan,

I really like your stones. That was a lot of rescaping :)
Actually I emptied the tank and started completely over. I was disgusted with being rushed and forced to start over, I decided to step back, take my time and do things differently. When I realized I had the bag of ADA Bright Sand available and a box of Seiryu Stones that I haven't used yet (stuffed in my closet), it just came to me. Everything seem to just fall into place. ;)

Just stumbled on to this thread. I really like you DIY stand very nice job! I particularly like the clean look of the light hangers!
Thank you but I can't take all the credit. Had it not been for forums like this one as well as many others, I probably wouldn't have had the inspiration or the blueprint to get it done. The simplicity of Amano's design for a tank stand was where it all rooted from. But of course we all copy, innovate and try to save some money best we know how in the process.

The hangers was simple enough. The 12' (twelve feet) long half inch thick conduit pipe cost me a total of $1.69 at Home Depot. Yes, that is not a typo, I said, ("One Dollar Sixty Nine Cents") although I had to purchase the pipe bender which was about $30, it still looked like an awesome deal to me. When I was done with the pipe bender (which took all of about 10 minutes) I went to Home Depot for some usual household items and told the manager that I had purchased a pipe bender, used it once and didn't need it anymore. Surprisingly the manager told me to bring it back for a refund if I wanted to, which I did. Wow, talk about service!

With a needle wheel and 2217 you must have heck of a flow in that tank!
You would think so but I used a little ingenuity to make up for the brute force of the 2217 by extending the pipe return which worked out beautifully. I used this:

with enough extensions to take up the entire back wall of the tank. That slowed the flow down to just where I wanted it. The longer the return pipe the slower the flow. The shorter the return pipe the faster the flow. I got it just right where it did not up root or blow the plants around the tank.

In addition to the 2217, I use the Eheim Compact+ Marine Pump which are use for skimmers. Here is a photo of it:

The pump has a flow control knob that I use to dial in the flow of the pump. So whenever I want a little more flow I adjust the pump to my liking. It makes life a lot easier. Here is a photo of the flow control knob:

Next time I do a water change, I will open the pump and take a photo for you of the internal part that controls the flow just so you can see how simple it is. I really like this pump but I realized that it is not a self primer meaning if you don't prime the pump properly it will vibrate loudly (I think cavitate is the word I'm looking for) and make an awful sound. Its only when the pump is primed properly does it remain quiet.

Dan

#22 ·
I forgot to mention I use pre-filter sponges on all returns. I especially use it on the pump to keep all of the nasties out.

Dan

#24 ·
Sorry I don't however you can google EMT straps. That is what I used to mount the conduit pipe to the back of the stand. I also used a "L" bracket under the pipe sort of as a stopper for the conduit pipe then use the emt straps to mount the conduit pipe on the back of the stand. On the "L" bracket itself, I glued some neoprene to prevent any noise that can come from two pieces of metal touching each other, especially from vibrations.

The "L" bracket isn't necessary but I used it because it gave me a peace of mind.

Hope this helps
Dan

#26 ·
I got some rotala macrandra in :biggrin:
Please excuse the reflection and glare but this photo was taken with daylight coming in and lighting up the room.

Rotala Macrandra:

I just put it in the tank last night but so far it has responded nicely. The leaves and stems are becoming redder by the hour. That's just using two bulbs on the Tek light.

Dan

#30 ·
Excellent tank and pictures!
Thank you.

Very nice layout and very clean set up. What type of ferts do you run- are you going with the ADA program or your own? Sorry, if I missed those details.
Thanks endgin33, I'm following EI (Estimative Index) which is explained here and here however I deviated a bit from it hence the estimative part.

This is what I use to dose:

+/- 1/8 tsp KNO3 (N) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 (P) 3x a week
+/- 1/4 tsp GH booster once a week(water change only)
+/- 1/32 tsp (2ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Now I dose:

1/4 tsp KNO3 (N) 3x a week
1/8 tsp KH2PO4 (P) 3x a week
3/8 tsp to almost 1 tsp of GH Booster
1/16 tsp Trace Elements 3x a week

1/32 tsp Calcium Sulfate 1x a week (tuesday)
1/32 tsp Calcium Chloride 1x a week (thursday)
1/64 tsp Magnesium Sulfate 1x or 2x a week depending if the plants need it.

I know it may seem like a lot to some but it works very well for me and once I figured out what the plants needed they responded very favorably.

My GH use to be 2.24° and by the end of the week it was almost non-existent but with my new dosing regimen my GH is maintained at 4.48°. My pH is 5.5 (with CO2 injection) which okay with me because New York has very soft water, I just needed to raise the GH by a degree or two. Fish are happy, plants are growing so all is well ;)

If you have anymore questions just ask away.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.