Aquatic Plant Forum banner

davemonkey's 50 gal journal

47700 Views 290 Replies 49 Participants Last post by  mudboots
Okay, this is my first planted tank set-up. My goal is low-maintenance, low (or moderate) tech, and just to get a good feel for planted aquaria.

-Tank is 48"x13" and 18"tall (50 gal...or more like 48...).
-Substrate is "planted aquarium substrate" from aquariumplants.com, 3" deep.
-Filters: emperor w/bio-wheel; 1 powerhead on undergravel filter for right side of tank only.
-Lighting is 130 W PC of 50/50 10,000K and Actinic and a 2x15W "aquarium bulb" (came with original hood). Light duration is for 10 hrs (but only 8 with the PC hood).
-DIY CO2, 2x 1 gallon jugs with same ingredients for smaller containers (gives just a bit of CO2)
-dose excel and ferts

Plants are val, swords, crypts, anubia, egeria, mosses, java fern, hygo. difformis...low-mod light (due to half my light being actinic and non-productive)

Fish are random fellows I've been trying out, haven't yet decided what to keep in there. Getting rid of 5 SAE's and a Pictus Cat soon.

Many of the plants still need to do ALOT of filling in. Feel free to critique/comment. I am totally open to suggestions (unless it involves buying more plants for awhile). ;)

Here is the moss-rock I just tied-up a couple days ago. The SAE's liked it alot...yummy treat...hence, I'll be trading them in soon...:boxing:

Thanks for looking,
Dave
See less See more
1 - 20 of 291 Posts
I think it really looks nice. I had the same problem with my sae's. They ate my Rotala wallichi. One of mine was about 4.4" and one 6". They went to live with somebody else. I really love your little tiny crypts. and your vals look so nice! :D
Dave - your tank is looking great. Looks like your mosses have already started growing! :D It won't take long before you ocelot sword takes off. (Hope you have a plant tab or two under it's roots.)
Tex-Gal, I've already given that moss 2 light trimmings! You must have been feeding those things their Wheaties before you shipped them over here. :rolleyes:

I put two plant tabs under each sword (about 1" from center on either side). Then I placed more tabs throughout (according to normal instructions), so all my plants should start pretty soon here. I'm sure it will take a week for the root systems to get back where they were (I trimmed roots again when I moved everyting around).
WOW! That's amazing growth for mosses! ...And they even have had a tank change! Keep up the good work!!! You'll be sharing it with someone else soon. :D
But it's growing surprisingly fast for moss. And I had some doubt about whether the Flame Moss would attach as well as other mosses, but it has latched on with a death-grip just like the Christmas Moss! :D

But, I really want to give these little guys a chance to reacclimate and start spreading. I'm a very impatient person by nature, but I'm giving these plants every bit of patience I can muster. I don't think they'll let me down. ;) Maybe in another couple weeks they'll start spreading again.
You are becoming the moss man!!! :p

Hang in there with your little crypts. I'm watching to see what they do. I'm VERY interested in your little mystery plant. If you want you might consider putting root tabs under them. (OR did you already do that?... I forget:rolleyes:)
Howdy, TexGal!

I put the roots tabs at the recommended spacing (5"x6"), but this doesn't give the little crypts very much "special attention". I've made my mind now that tonight I'm going to treat them like my swords and give them extras beneath their roots. Although I'll have to make 3-4 of them share a tab instead of each one getting it....otherwise I might overload the system. Thoughts?
I think that's a good idea. Just watch for any nutrient overload signs, i.e dark brown spots, pit holes, etc..... Maybe just a partial tab... It will probably take a while for them to adjust to being moved. Keep us posted! I'm anxious to see if they begin to get height. They just don't look like C. willisii x lucens 'bronze' that I have seen, though I am far from an expert :D
Dave your plants look fantastic! Hate to think of having to tear it down. I guess you can just think of all the rescaping fun you will have! :D
You guys are pros! I have complete faith in you. You have fought algae before and WON! No worries!!! (Keep the excel handy)
Your tank is MARVELOUS!!! Great work. I really love it. Your sword and apon are fabulous. Love the ludwigia on the right. It's interesting but not messy. Love where you have the bacopa. Your mix of shape color and texture are great. You do good!!!:bounce:

BTW: your moss rock on your power head makes me laugh!
All your slower growing plants and your mosses will make the trip fine. (Really most of your plants will make it if you can get the tank set back up quickly). I think your idea to give many of your stem plants to NASH is a very nice and good idea. They will be able to restock you once your set up. Take care with your little baby crypts! They are rare and hard to come by! Mine are doing great. They are getting thicker. A few have sent out a little longer leaves. They are so cute!!!

Glad you're getting to move to where you want to be. Are you ready for the humidity!!! :D
Boy your arthraxon is a way larger plant than what I have. Mine has smaller leaves. I wonder if we have a different variety?

Your tanks looks great. I see your little brown crypts. Mine have finally begun to grow upright a little bit. They have thickened up quite a bit. The E. Quad. looks so good in there. I love the bright green color.

It's gonna look good filled in. Now you just have to wait, ...and wait, ...and wait..... hahaha! No- you'll be playing in there - I know! :D
Just took a px of my little crypts. They are choking out my Rotala indica bonsai! They are about 2" high at most. They have really thickened up. They are so thick they are traping moss pieces. lol

Here is px of my Arthraxon. The leaves are, at most, 1/2" long. It is getting tall enough to trim. You can see my betta in front so you can kinda get an idea of size.

I sent some plants to Theoldman yesterday. They arrived great! Only problem is I sent him someone elses plants! :rolleyes: Now I have to grow some more Singapore moss for him.... The other guy got the best deal by far, even though I'm not quite sure he knows it. :cool: If I had half a brain I'd be dangerous! LOL
See less See more
DAAAANNNNNGGGGG!!!!!! :eek: What are you feeding those things!? Seriously, what is you fert and light schedule? Mine really look stressed and stunted since I moved and have stopped growing all-together. All my other plants are doing fabulous, though.

That's too funny about Glenn's plant 'mix-up'. Some lucky fella is saying right now, "Wow, look at all the extras I got!" :biggrin:

-Dave
I'm doing EI dosing with lower nitrates in that tank since there are shrimp in there. They have really taken off. See how their leaves have stood up.

Yeah the other guy offered to send the plants back, but I told him to consider it a freebee for my blondeness! :rolleyes:

Glenn - Yes, now that I think about it I'm sure you must have thrown them out with the peanuts! :eyebrows: I just trimmed some more moss, so it'll be on it's way tomorrow. :D
Well, I just pulled my crypts up....and....

NOOO! I didn't toss them! ;) I planted them very close around the tiger lily. My guess is that they'll do better with some amount of shade. They were in the wide-open foreground in the previous scape (before the move), but I had MANY tall and large-leaved plants that blocked out most of the light in the center foreground. We'll see how it goes.
I don't know what to say. Mine aren't really in the shade. They are in the front foreground. Maybe your light is higher than mine. .... then again, they are crytps. I guess we'll find out.
Did you stick a root tab under your little crypts? Boy your gloss has really filled in! You might want to trim your long rotala stems in the back and plant the ends. It will make them branch and give you 2x's as much. :D
Dave, you are more than welcome!!! I love mine too! I just updated my thread with pxs. Take a look at my other lotus. It's a Nymphea micrathana. These are two I will keep.

I saw the sticky too. I have a few ??? I hope they will ans. for me. I'm sure you will see a big growth on your tank from your trim!

I'm thinking about getting rid of my E. Quad. I just can't fit everything in my tank!!! ARRGGG!!!!
So glad you are getting pressurized CO2. It's so easy compared to DIY - not that DIY is hard... The neat thing is that you can dial in your amount so easily, regardless of the age of yeast or coldness of air.

I just love the lotus. It's so pretty. I like them to stay low but I have may to try that bloom idea. I've never seen it's flower. :D
Tex!! You HAVE to see the flower! If you can, raise the lights when the bloom gets to the surface; your lights may fry the flower. It is definitely worth seeing, at least once!
Don - Well I sure would like to see the flower. :humble: Do you have a px?

Dave - If you get one be sure to let me know!!! :D
The plants are really looking pretty. I especially like that last one. I appreciate the lillies. Glad your little crypts are perking up. Mine are really getting crowded in there. Might need to divest soon. Maybe Tex Guy will take some.
Your crypts are perking up! They are looking good! I see the mermaid's weed from your wild collecting! Neat! :D Your marsilea is filling in nicely. It's coming along..... :D
1 - 20 of 291 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.