Aquatic Plant Forum banner
101 - 120 of 291 Posts

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I'm doing EI dosing with lower nitrates in that tank since there are shrimp in there. They have really taken off. See how their leaves have stood up.

Yeah the other guy offered to send the plants back, but I told him to consider it a freebee for my blondeness! :rolleyes:

Glenn - Yes, now that I think about it I'm sure you must have thrown them out with the peanuts! :eyebrows: I just trimmed some more moss, so it'll be on it's way tomorrow. :D
Well, I just pulled my crypts up....and....

NOOO! I didn't toss them! ;) I planted them very close around the tiger lily. My guess is that they'll do better with some amount of shade. They were in the wide-open foreground in the previous scape (before the move), but I had MANY tall and large-leaved plants that blocked out most of the light in the center foreground. We'll see how it goes.

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Dave I need some more E. Quad for the 55. Mine has all but gone the way of the dinos. Let me know if you have any you may want to share... Thanks

Curt
Curt, I just thinned them out. But, they are growing fast so in couple or three weeks I should be able to pull some more out. If I don't get ahold of you in 2 weeks, send me a PM. I might try and get some heat packs, too.

-Dave

· Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Well, I just pulled my crypts up....and....

NOOO! I didn't toss them! ;) I planted them very close around the tiger lily. My guess is that they'll do better with some amount of shade. They were in the wide-open foreground in the previous scape (before the move), but I had MANY tall and large-leaved plants that blocked out most of the light in the center foreground. We'll see how it goes.
I don't know what to say. Mine aren't really in the shade. They are in the front foreground. Maybe your light is higher than mine. .... then again, they are crytps. I guess we'll find out.

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I did a fairly hard trim (considering it's still a very young tank) to get things evened out. Met up with The old man and Complexity this AM before the NASH meeting (I couldn't go :( ) and dropped off the trimmings and picked up some Rotala (for the big "void" in the rear-center of the tank) . I also decided to replace the Myrio in the back-right corner with more Ludwigia repens. Here's a new full tank shot. Now I just have to wait till it all fills in. I'll do more close-ups once things really get going.

Just for fun, here's another shot of the E. quad.

...my lone SAE...

An end-view from th eleft side. The Crypt. spiralis is adjusted and starting to grow now.

-Dave

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
:) Thanks, Akaizhar. :)

TexGal, :doh: I didn't even buy any root tabs when I moved. I completely forgot about them. That was the problem the very first time I had these plants (nearly a year ago) . Once the root tabs went in, the growth began. Off to the store...

-Dave

· Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Dave!! Will do... I will get some pics up on my tank in a couple days. I ended up pulling out all my dwarf hair grass as it was getting choked off with algea. So now I have a perfect patch for the quad. will be in touch,

Curt

· Registered
166 Posts
Very nice! I'll enjoy watching everything grow in and seeing how well the Rotala does in your tank. If you can't find a home for your SAE, let me know. I have 9 of them and really like them!

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Curt, I look forward to it.

Complexity, if I ever can catch him, he's yours. I had 5 once and they started eating all my moss. So, I set up a trap to catch them without flailing a net throught the tank. He was the only one that didn't go in. When the guy I was giving them to needed a few more days, I let the 4 out of the trap (took my chances) . Then I set the trap again, this time with a more-tempting morsel of food. Again, 4 went in and this one just would not fall for it. He's too smart for me. :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
dave:

Your E quad is so beautiful! Makes me want to set up a mini M with it as a nice background :hungry: Does it do well in lo-tech, lo-light setting?
I think it should, but my light is moderate-high. Seriously, if I can grow a plant in my tank, then pretty much anyone should be able to grow it in ANY tank.

Do you want me tp put you on the "waiting list"? :) I should have several plants come next NASH meeting after I get some to Curt.

· Premium Member
712 Posts
I think it should, but my light is moderate-high. Seriously, if I can grow a plant in my tank, then pretty much anyone should be able to grow it in ANY tank.

Do you want me tp put you on the "waiting list"? :) I should have several plants come next NASH meeting after I get some to Curt.
Thanks for the offer! If I only had more room in my 60-P! I can hear Thanh now "get another tank for your wife as a Christmas present". Maybe a couple of plants if you can spare them - I'll try them out in the kids betta tank. No hurry though.

· Registered
654 Posts
Thanks for the offer! If I only had more room in my 60-P! I can hear Thanh now "get another tank for your wife as a Christmas present". Maybe a couple of plants if you can spare them - I'll try them out in the kids betta tank. No hurry though.
I was gonna say get another tank for you kid as a Christmas present. :eyebrows: Your wife can say much about that. :whistle:

Dave, thanks for the plant. I'm loving it. I was going to put that as a background for the mini too. :clap2:

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I just did a MAJOR whack and hack. I'm trying for better looking stems and groupings after reading that new sticky about the timing of trimming. Here are before and after shots. Any visible difference is just from trimming, I did not remove any plants.

Before:

After:

Take a look at how gorgeous this tiger lotus is! Thanks TexGal!! The bubbles on the bottom of the leaves is 'pearling' (CO2 blasting right on it. )

-Dave

· Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Dave, you are more than welcome!!! I love mine too! I just updated my thread with pxs. Take a look at my other lotus. It's a Nymphea micrathana. These are two I will keep.

I saw the sticky too. I have a few ??? I hope they will ans. for me. I'm sure you will see a big growth on your tank from your trim!

I'm thinking about getting rid of my E. Quad. I just can't fit everything in my tank!!! ARRGGG!!!!

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I was trimming a few odds and ends to keep up the 'shape-li-ness' of teh plants and noticed how much the Nymphaea has grown in just 1 week. Compare to the pic from last week:

LastWeek:

This Week:

Nothing else to report really, other than some algae issues. I'm cutting back on light to just 5 hrs and will add 1/2 hr each week. I cut back on ferts (only dosing 1/3) accordingly and will gradually increase as the light-time increases.

:D OH!!! BIG NEWS!!!! I got some Christmas cash, so in just a couple weeks I will be ordering my compressed CO2 system from Orlando at GreenleafAquariums FINALLY!!! :D

-Dave

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Whoo-hoo! You will love the pressurized CO2, Dave!!

The lotus Rubra is looking sweet! Those make a great "bush) is you trim it now and then. They also will creep by sending out small runners from time to time helping the growth look compact!

The flowers, too, are beautiful! Let the Rubra throw some floating leaves to the surface from time to time; you will get a main "stalk" that will shoot up after a few weeks and the bloom is VERY pretty!

Love the journal, Dave! Keep up the good work!

· Premium Member
8,540 Posts
So glad you are getting pressurized CO2. It's so easy compared to DIY - not that DIY is hard... The neat thing is that you can dial in your amount so easily, regardless of the age of yeast or coldness of air.

I just love the lotus. It's so pretty. I like them to stay low but I have may to try that bloom idea. I've never seen it's flower. :D

101 - 120 of 291 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.