Aquatic Plant Forum banner

121 - 140 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Tex!! You HAVE to see the flower! If you can, raise the lights when the bloom gets to the surface; your lights may fry the flower. It is definitely worth seeing, at least once!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Thanks Donald and Tex. I'll give the flower a shot. I hear it's not too hard to retrain the plant to stay submerged after it emerges.

And I'm 'uber-excited' about the pressurized CO2. I've been wanting it for about 8 months now and I can't wait to place my order! :D My wife thinks it's rather silly to get pumped up about carbon dioxide....if only I could 'bring her into the light'... ;) heeheehee

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Since it's a new year, here's an update. I've continued to trim here and there, especially the lotus to keep it at the same 'stage' as the rest. Still lots of growing to do.

Better shot of the ludwigia starting to peek up in the background:

Thanks for looking. :)

-Dave

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Tex!! You HAVE to see the flower! If you can, raise the lights when the bloom gets to the surface; your lights may fry the flower. It is definitely worth seeing, at least once!
Don - Well I sure would like to see the flower. :humble: Do you have a px?

Dave - If you get one be sure to let me know!!! :D

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Don - Well I sure would like to see the flower. :humble: Do you have a px?

Dave - If you get one be sure to let me know!!! :D
I'll be sure to post once it happens. It will still be awhile as I just trimmed it up pretty hard to get it inline with the other plants. :D

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
It's been just over a month and not a whole lot to show for it. I've been cutting plants back very hard and had battled some serious algae up until a week ago. I think I'm done with the major trimming now, only will cut here and there once the plants finish filling in.

Full Tank Shot

Little 'bronze' crypt finally regaining life...notice the baby lotus coming up in it

Low Grow: I actually had cut it back so hard that I thought it had all died...

I thought this picture was kinda pretty:

Thanks for looking!

-Dave

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The plants are really looking pretty. I especially like that last one. I appreciate the lillies. Glad your little crypts are perking up. Mine are really getting crowded in there. Might need to divest soon. Maybe Tex Guy will take some.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Two weeks and finally some good stuff! The ludwigia is suffering a heavy trim, but everything else is good. I'm considering a re-scape soon. Maybe drastic. :eek:

-Dave

Full Tank Shot

My favorite Lily

My favorite Crypts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Your crypts are perking up! They are looking good! I see the mermaid's weed from your wild collecting! Neat! :D Your marsilea is filling in nicely. It's coming along..... :D

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Hey, Tex! Yep, the crypts finally responded to root ferts and are looking great (the pictures don't really do them much justice).

I read that mermaid weed was supposed to be a slow grower, but these have taken off VERY quickly. I have 5 stems in there and each has grown 2" + in less than 2 weeks (and that includes time to acclimate to the tank) . Very cool!

The marsilea, it's become one of my favorite now. It's such a great foreground/carpet and doesn't need high light like other carpets do.

Oh, and I just trimmed the Hygro 'bold' before the photo. That stuff is going gang-busters on me. :D

-Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think i'm the only one that can't get marselia to grow well. How do you get yours to carpet so well and turn a nice dark green? I have decent lighting, dose ferts, and have DIY co2 but i just can't get it to grow well.

Great tank by the way-i'm going to start following it for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I think i'm the only one that can't get marselia to grow well. How do you get yours to carpet so well and turn a nice dark green? I have decent lighting, dose ferts, and have DIY co2 but i just can't get it to grow well.

Great tank by the way-i'm going to start following it for sure.
Do you dose liquid or dry ferts? I'm not sure if that would be a factor, but I know when I dosed liquids, I found (using the fertilator) that I actually needed 3x the amounts of what was recommended. I have since switched to dry ferts and use EI. I also have pressurized CO2, but the Marsilea grew well for me with DIY as well. I've got moderately high light (2.6 - 3.2 WPG depending on how you dice it) . The Marsilea will grow into my shaded spots and not be as thick, but it stills stays a nice, lush green.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I dose using the PPS pro method and seachem flourish comprehensive for micros. I have a 5.5g with 2x20oz bottle DIY co2, 20w of light (i can up it to 26w), and eco complete substrate. It seems i have everything marselia could want but it just hasn't taken off since being planted around x-mas.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
what happened to your rainbows?did they eat the Blyxa japonica?and your bleeding heart looks like sick..:p
The rainbows didn't eat the Blyxa (that I know of...although I was never able to grow it well) . I wound up giving them away because they were too spastic. They DID eat all my duckweed and red-root floater.

The Bleeding Hearts did get sick. I had bought some angels at PetsMart, infected my tank with bacterial infection, and lost everything except the Oto's, 1 Zebra Loach, and my Bristlenose. I have since added 3 black mollies (to clean up algae and eat the surface scum that was building up) and 7 Black Skirt tetras (just to have some fish...and they were CHEAP!! ) .

I'm strongly considering a major overhaul, getting rid of that large chunk of wood on the left side. If/when I do that (I want to see how this Proserpinaca grows first so I can use it in the scape) I'll get a nice school of tetras OR a couple nice Angelfish.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Well, I'm getting some new plants in (hopefully today) from TexGal, and I'm also about to load my brother with some plants for his VERY FIRST planted tank (he's going El Natural) . I have a new scape in mind, but I guess we all know that the end product will likely be much different.

Anyway, these are the last pics of my tank in it's current form. I don't plan on having ANY driftwood or rock. Just plants. (We'll see how that works. ;) ) If I can't give away the large chunk-o-wood on the left side of the tank, I may try to work it in somehow.

Here you go:

-Dave

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I SURE HOPE you get your plants today! I can't believe the PO. We are both in TX for goodness sake!!! The PO says:
Your item arrived at 6:00 AM on March 7, 2009 in HOUSTON, TX 77078. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Your tank has really come a long way. When I look back at the beginning - what a difference! :D

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Yesterday I did a major trim/thin and filled up my brother's new 20 gallon. TexGal sent a HUGE plant package and it's time to work on a rescape. I've decided to incorporate the large wood for two reasons: 1.) my bristle-nose would never forgive me otherwise, and 2.) TexGal sent me the most BEAUTIFUL large Anubias barteri, and I've attached it to the wood (along with the petite she sent) .

I've got alot of work ahead, so it may be awhile before I update again.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Okay, not as long as I thought before another update. I just spent 5 hours rescaping and my arm is numb. It's mostly where I want it, but still needs a little trimming, shuffling, and growing. I'll post pics when the water clears and the plants are pretty much where I want them.

It's so hard to believe, I only planted 3/4 of the plant-mass that I had, and it's still very heavily planted.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 · (Edited)
The water isn't quite clear yet, but I think I'm happy with the layout. MUCH growing out needed. Here's what it looked like AFTER I took out the smaller wood (with Anubias and Java Fern attached) and enough other plants to completely fill a 20 gallon tank. (No pics because it's my brother's. He can post pics when he gets time to put it how he wants it. )

Let the battle begin...

Daddy's helpers...getting ready to gut it out

Umm, yeah...

Casualties of war (broken stems, algae covered leaves, crooked stuff)

5 hours, and then another day later. Picture it without the subwassertang grid. I haven't decided where to put it yet.

Thanks for looking! - Dave

121 - 140 of 291 Posts