Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a friend of mine wanted to get rid of a Blue Mystery Snail he's had for a couple weeks. He got it off of a clutch of eggs from someone. I picked up the snail from him, he bagged it as you would a fish, I brought it home, floated it for about an hour, slowly adding water from my tank into the bag. I take him out of the bag and he abruptly sinks to the bottom. Four hours later, he's still sitting in the same place in the bottom of the tank? My kids are asking if he's asleep or dead.... I don't know what to tell them. Any ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi. It may be hybernating. They will do that for weeks, and the hard part is that you shouldn't disturb it. I figure your water is warm enough if he's in with fish. Otherwise, he could be unhappy with the water chemistry. If you use anything with copper to treat the water, it can kill snails pretty quickly. If he's not floating and rotten, according to applesnail.net, then he's probably fine and will come out and be active when he's done "recharging". These are neat guys. You'll love him once he wakes up!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input people. I got home from work this morning, expecting to have to net the snail out and put him in with my daphnia colony, but wait, I get home and he is happily attached to the big piece of slate I have in the tank. So all is well, now just to find a nice small apple snail and grow him into a beast alongside my cichlids!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I killed a blue mystery snail once. (I know bad momma). If they are dying they flip over. (Like a turtle upside down) and they wither away. If it is upside down then you worry. Good luck it may be that he is just adjusting. Make sure that they are not getting picked on. I put one in with my betta and I saw him attack his antenna In my betta defense he thought it was a worm. Some fish just chime into the snails and others forget about them. It is a crapshoot. fun to watch:roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts