Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please join me in congratulating Mike on his 300 liter creation titled "Dutch Serenity":

Mike is from Holland and this is a fabulous example of classic Dutch Aquascaping. With the advent of the Nature Aquarium Style, this type of layout is perhaps less commonly seen than it once was. Pay attention to the use of layered "streets" and contrasting groups of leaf color, shape, and texture. For full details of the setup and additional photos, please follow this link to the Library Article.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Congratulations, Mike. Very nice color balance and just really beautiful.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Congrats! The Dutch style is in my opinion overlooked these days, when done well it can be quite striking. Good job!

·
Registered
36 Posts
What a beautiful underwater world you have created. You are an inspiration to a beginner like myself.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
overlook
verb |ˈōvərˈloŏk| [ trans. ]
1 fail to notice (something) : he seems to have overlooked one important fact. See note at neglect .
• ignore or disregard (something, esp. a fault or offense) : she was more than ready to overlook his faults.
• pass over (someone) in favor of another : he was overlooked by the Nobel committee.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's a bit difficult for me to understand the meaning of "overlooked" the way Vancat explains it, but I think you mean that not many people have this kind off style. This style is not often seen anymore like it was or...they don't stand out??
correct me if i'm wrong, please!

But believe me...in Holland there are many many tanks like this!!!

:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
By overlooked, I'm referring to the third use in vancat's post. Dutch style used to be the prominent style way back when, but you don't see too many people going for Dutch any more, at least in the US.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In any case, the Dutch style was the birth of modern aquascaping. Many people today favor the apporach of Mr. Amano. Personally, I really appreciate a beautiful Dutch layout like this one!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Nice job Mike!
I love the plant selection and layout.
Marvelous job for someone who just started in this hobby a year ago.

I want the USA members to notice what he is using for lighting: Mostly 4000K and some 6500K lamps.
Most of the europeans go with this lighting. I believe they are Philips CFs;as it has a factory in Holland.
Americans tend to choose what I deem 'Saltwater' bulbs - a high kelvin rated bulb. GO figure.

Like your kitty.

What is your GH?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dear Mike!
Very nice plants!I like your tank very much!
I have a question about Hidrocotila-how it plant keep leaves near the ground?Sorry my English

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Nice job Mike!

I want the USA members to notice what he is using for lighting: Mostly 4000K and some 6500K lamps.
Most of the europeans go with this lighting. I believe they are Philips CFs;as it has a factory in Holland.
Americans tend to choose what I deem 'Saltwater' bulbs - a high kelvin rated bulb. GO figure.
I noticed the difference in the bulb color myself Newt. You can see the 'yellowish' tinge in the scape. Most US hobbyists seem to not prefer the lower spectrum bulbs for that reason, although it seems to give the tank a 'warmer' feel.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I wasnt pointing out the differences in the kelvin temp the europeans choose because of the look it gives the tank but more because of plant growth utilizing light more towards the red end of the spectrum versus the blue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts