Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hola peeps.
I'm redoing my aquarium currently and changing out some of the fishies. I've got red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp and a variety of snails at the moment for algae control. My BN will likely be departing for a new home soon (he's damaging my swords when he goes for algae) so I'll have room in the tank for something else.
I was wondering if I picked up some Otos, would the crew of them, the shrimp and snails be sufficient to handle almost all the different types of algae?

EDIT: hmmm..it would seem Otos are little poop factories from what I've read tonight. Would I be better off with an SAE? And possibly a few Amano's for variety. It'd only be one SAE most likely as I don't have much room in the tank. At this point the residents are likely to be 7 white clouds, 7 pygmy cories, rc shrimp, ghost shrimp, MTSs and what ramshorn and pond snails I haven't caught. Not sure about my peppered cories...I love em but..

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
A good variety of algae eaters is always good. Yes, I would also add some Amano's, Tiger shrimp also make good algae eaters.

If you get SAE's make sure to get at least two, if you only keep one they chase other fish/shrimp as they grow larger.

What size is your tank?... I would not keep SAE's in a tank smaller than a 20 gallon tank. Even in a 20G tank as they grow larger you will need to move them to a larger tank or give them away.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
u may want to try an albino bushy nose pleco. They grow slow and stay small. The candy stripe ones are even smaller. For there size otto's dont poop too much, plus they are good to have for the brown type algea if I remeber right.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's what I thought trenac, tank's to small. 20 Long tank
I have a normal bristlenose pleco right now, munching on the swords by accident as he cleans the algae off so he's getting a new home.

I've got about 7 adult rc shrimp, with nearly 20 babies. Maybe half dozen ghost shrimps.
I've only begun to get serious algae recently and that's just fuzz algae. The rc shrimp aren't mature enough to handle it all yet.

Sounds like a few Amano shrimp and 2-3 ottos you think? I love the look of the tigers but I'm strapped on cash at the moment so I'm limiting what i get and the tigers aren't that cheap from what i've seen.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
IMO, skip the SAE, I have heard they either work or don't but are not worth the efort IMO. Pluse, some of them love the moss, grrrr) ANyway, I think ottos and shrimp are your best bet. I have heard the farowella (sorry I am sure that is spelled wrong) are nice and very cool looking also. Otos are nice, very attractive little fish that do a great job with the brown algae. They hide a good bit and like to be kept in groups of atleast 2-3 but they are harmless to plants and other fish/shrimp. If your tank is very clean or matured, they might not get enough to eat but you can suppliment them later with algae wafers if need be. There are some pretty cool varieties out there also, the Zebra oto is tre' cool:)

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I keep SAE's in a 20G long tank, however I get them when they are very small and once they start getting some size on them I remove them from the the tank and start the process all over. If you don't have any BBA I would skip on them.

I think the adding the Otto's & Amanos would be a great addition to the algae crew you already have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
algae

I really like the cae I have in my 20 with my tiger barbs and java fern and java moss and rock work.

I keep thinking about trying maybe a cherry shrimp crew or tiger shrimp but they are very expensive to order and have shipped for just a few to have them turn into a treat for my tiger barbs. maybe I will jsut get some small snails that won't be a treat.

john ](*,)

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
John... Keep and eye on the CAE, has they mature they become more and more aggressive. They have been know to suck the slime coating off other fish causing injury and even death. Some will even stop eating algae when they start maturing.

I would stay away from shrimp with the Tiger Barbs, like you say they will most than likely become snacks. You can always try cheap Ghost shrimp, however they don't make great algae eaters.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree with Trena, John. The CAE is going to be nothing but trouble in your tank very shortly, and it will also stop eating algae as it grows.
And the shrimp would never survive in a tank with TB's.

Thaerin, I also think adding some Oto's and more shrimp would be a great solution for you. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts