Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you treat your tap water with commercially available dechlorinators prior adding it to the aquarium?Do you do it only if you suspect chlorine in the water or you do it anyway?Is sodium thiosulfate the active ingriedient in this preparations and if so how does it bind heavy metals such as copper as it's manufacturers claim?Colloids in these solutions are said to protect the gills of fish and some feel more slimy than others..ok..and most of them claim to reduce stress on fishes when transporting them..:eek:..considering the complex mechanics behind modern antidepressants I don't think your LFS sells such products:eek:,anyway,I don't want to play wiseguy here just to learn about some of the myths of the aquarium hobby.Any comments will be highly appreciated..

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Since I use city water with all those additives, I always use water conditioner when adding top off water & during water changes. I can't tell you the science behind how it works, just know that it does. Susposedly the herbal extracts they use help calm fish during transport & coat their fins. Since these are natural they don't need FDA approval.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a guy come into the store several months ago who ran out of dechlorinator and did a water change. His fish died, he said it was a horrible experience because he knew what the problem was and could not do anything about it. I think instances like this happen when the city adds more chlorinator than normal, so to be on the safe side I always add dechlorinator. If you instead of using a dechlorinator leave the water out overnight before you add it to your tank you are pretty safe, however they now add chlorimines to the water to keep the chlorine in for a much longer time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In the town I lived in while going to college, the LFS owner told me to be sure to add dechlorinator and a stress coat to the water, especially after heavy rains. After heavy rains the fertilizers etc. from the farming fields would end up in the water supply and the city added more chlorine to get rid of the extra pollutants(that was her take on the problem). I don't know if that was the actual cause but I could always count on a storm of people after a fall rain shower coming into the store and saying that all their fish had died. I ended up waiting a week after rains to do a water change.

Scouter

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just use carbon filtered tap water. Has been working great for four years now. Of course, that only works if your municipal water supply uses Chlorine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the stress they are referring to is physical not physiological stress. I don't think anyone has got a fish past the abandonment at the egg stage yet in there counseling sessions.I do use declorinator every time I change water just squirt it in when I fill from the python.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I declorinator every time i water change just to be on the safe side. I dump it directly into the take. 50% when the tanks half full and other 50 when tank full.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts