Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm deciding on a big school (40-50) for my new 4ft tank. I want something that schools most of the time (not just for a pic). I was trying to stay away from Rummys and Harleys since I've already had those. So right now based on availability I'm looking at either:

Black Neons
Ember
Pristella
Red-Eye
Serpae

What has your experience been with these fish in terms of schooling? - Thanks!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I just got some golden tetras ( Hemigrammus rodwayi). They're a little hard to find but they have an incredible subtle beauty. Mine are schooling very well - maybe not as good as rummies, but certainly better than cardinals.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I had serpae tetras and they didn't school all that well, but I imagine 40-50 of them would have no choice but to hang out in groups. The one problem I had with them (and maybe because I only had 7) is that they would kill off the weakest fish, and when that one was gone, they moved on to the next....until I had only 2 left. Evil little guys! :axe:

-Dave

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just got some golden tetras ( Hemigrammus rodwayi). They're a little hard to find but they have an incredible subtle beauty. Mine are schooling very well - maybe not as good as rummies, but certainly better than cardinals.

I would agree with Bryce. I have about 15 Goldens and they school but not nearly as tightly as my 8 rummies, but certainly better than my 35 or so Cards. That said, as beautiful as Bryce and I feel they are it is indeed a subtle beauty and perhaps not as noticeable as Cards or rummies. Though they each look like a golden piece of jewelry, like a pendant.

I think you should add to your rummies. If they school as tightly in big groups as my 8 do a huge group would be very impressive indeed.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
O.K. forget the Tetras and Rasboras I saw these at my LFS and needless to say I'm in love.

Actually all kidding aside I should have mentioned that I have a dozen or so Gold Tetras in my 46g and they are a nice fish. Actually with a black backround they pop and they have that beautiful metallic type gold coloration. But again they don't school tightly most of the time. I wonder if a strong current would help keep the schooling formation.

Dave thanks for the info on the Serpae. That backs up the fine nipping I noticed at the LFS.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Not to side track but, I heard these fish are tattooed with the hearts similar to the colored parrot fish. Is there any truth to it?

There are also GloFish which are genetically engineered to glow with a fluorescent color.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to side track but, I heard these fish are tattooed with the hearts similar to the colored parrot fish. Is there any truth to it?

There are also GloFish which are genetically engineered to glow with a fluorescent color.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's correct. I believe the danios have some anenome material in them thus the glo.

Does anyone have Pristella tetras? I recently put a school of these in a tall tank and it looked like the schooled pretty tightly, but I haven't been observing them all the time.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have 9 Golden Tetras (sometimes refered to as Brass Tetras) and they are nice schoolers. Lemon Tetras is another but they can be finikie with water conditions. The best schooler is Brilliant Rasbora. They always hang together. Better schoolers than tetras.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 9 Golden Tetras (sometimes refered to as Brass Tetras) and they are nice schoolers. Lemon Tetras is another but they can be finikie with water conditions. The best schooler is Brilliant Rasbora. They always hang together. Better schoolers than tetras.
I don't see Brilliant Rasboras that much.

Bigstick yeah I'd like to see the pic of your redfins when you get a chance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
alot petshop in Queens have Brilliant Rasboras .btw.you saw the tatoo molly in Pets?:) there are new livestock coming on sunday i think.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
alot petshop in Queens have Brilliant Rasboras .btw.you saw the tatoo molly in Pets?:) there are new livestock coming on sunday i think.
What store in queens are you referring to 'Pets'? A pretty good store I've been to is Fish Town USA. The tato mollies I saw on Long Island.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I've had both pristellas and serpaes before. They both act more or less like neons or cardinals. Loose shoaling would more accurately reflect their behavior. Serpaes are too nippy for my taste. My pristellas always hung out at the bottom of the tank too. I'm not sure the effect would complement a planted tank very much.

If you're dead-set on something from your original list, red-eyes or black neons would probably give you the best overall effect. The briliant rasboras would be better though.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'll throw Flame Tetras into the mix..............

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I've never seen anything school as tightly as the Ember tetra school I just got in my 180g.

40 of them, and they are staying in a school no more than 12" wide consistantly. Most of the time even tighter than that. It is like this cool little cloud of red that floats around the lower portion of the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never seen anything school as tightly as the Ember tetra school I just got in my 180g.

40 of them, and they are staying in a school no more than 12" wide consistantly. Most of the time even tighter than that. It is like this cool little cloud of red that floats around the lower portion of the tank.
That must be a nice sight. I've heard mixed things about the schooling of embers so I think you might have to wait longer to see. You said you just got them, so initially from fear, etc I would expect the school to be tighter.

Bryce, I'm not stuck on my list I just know I can get those at any given time. The black neons are a good fish as well. Never had a big school just a few and them seem to school pretty well. My tank has a black background so I'm also working that into the equation. I also read someone that fish also school to reduce energy usage. If that's true I wonder if they do school better in a strong current.

·
Registered
584 Posts
OK so I'll throw my $.02 in. I have only seen these in pictures but they look incredible, how about Kubotai rasboras. They have an emerald green metallic color that would really complement lots of green plants and a black background. I am not sure how they would school but I think Nicolai and Pedro have them available at Invertz Factory. If you ask them I am sure they woud be happy to tell you how they school.

IMHO going with a smaller fish for the school makes a better impression. I think that 40-50 black neons would be a lot of fish in a 4ft tank, albeit pretty amazing fish. Microrasboras, IMO, would be a better fit.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Availability of Gold Tetras depends where your located. I think Bryce said they are hard to find in his area. In the NY area they are everywhere. I know the picture looks silver, but they are gold for the most part. Although the gold coloration is supposely from a micro-organism that inhabits the fish in the wild. Here's a pic of some in one of my tanks:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts