Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=255

Follow the link to a pic of my alternanthera reineckii that seems to be having some trouble. Anyone have any ideas? I dose bi-weekly with KNO3, fleet enema, and flourish. 2 watts per gallon and diy co2 and 50% water change weekly. Most everything in the tank is growing great. A. reineckii is growing a lot but most of the leaves look like the pic.

·
Registered
302 Posts
holy cow, looks like something is eating it.... and it isn't healthy to begin with so it's susceptible to it...is it snails????

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'd say its K deficiency. Notice how it's the older leaves
and not the new ones. Stick a small peice of Jobes in the
root and see how it responds.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ghazanfar Ghori said:
I'd say its K deficiency. Notice how it's the older leaves
and not the new ones.
I've had glosso do a similar thing, it went green->yellow->tan with holes, I think its nitrogen in my case, whats the difference between nitrogen and K??

Jeff

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Plants use Potassium mostly as an ion to promote water circulation through the plant.

Nitrogen is used mostly as a food source to create the Amine Groups (NH) in proteins.

Potassium Nitrate is particularly useful because it provides the plant with the nutrient and the ion needed to absorb the water containing the Nitrogen.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of Jobes are you referring to? And how small is a small piece? Maybe a half inch cube? or smaller?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts