Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
I understand that there is a religious philosophy and set of rituals behind Iwagumi practice. But the second quote mentions that the main philosophy is lost and only the rules related to aesthetic appearance has been moved to the surface. I interpret this as we are just imitating like a child without knowing what we are doing actually.

Mortadelo said:
Definition of Sanzon Iwagumi from Jaanus.

Lit. Buddhist triad stone arrangement. The grouping of one large stone with two smaller flanking stones that lean toward the central stone. The stones are likened to Buddhist triads (see *sanzonbutsu 三尊ä»�) such as Shaka sanzon 釈迦三尊, Amida sanzon 阿弥陀三尊, Yakushi sanzon è-¬å¸«ä¸‰å°Š and Fudou sanzon ä¸�動三尊. The central stone is called the chuusonseki ä¸*尊石, while the side stones are called attendant stones or kyoujiseki 脇ä¾�石. In some gardens a worship stone (raihaiseki 礼æ‹�石) is placed in front of the sanzon iwagumi, in this case the raihaiseki is called the dais stone (daizaseki å�°åº§çŸ³) or lotus seat stone (rendaiseki 連å�°çŸ³). The term sanzon iwagumi was first found used in the 11c garden treatise *SAKUTEIKI 作åº*記, and thereafter appears in most other garden treatises. Sanzon iwagumi may stand alone or may be included as part of a large stone arrangement. The stones may also be called sanzonseki
三尊石.

Mortadelo said:
Rocks are the bones of the Japanese garden. If you have properly placed your stones in the garden, the rest of the garden will lay itself out for you. The Sakuteiki laid out hundreds of specific stone groupings, each with a specific meaning. These hold little importance today. It is more important for our purposes to know the basic stones and some of the general rules for stone setting.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In terms of aquascaping, I think the term has become simply a reference to an all-stones based hardscape. Certainly there is more to the actual literal meaning/interpretation, but many have more simply adopted it as a reference to a style.

·
Registered
885 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.