Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when people are telling others to "dose 10ppm" or whatever amounts are they saying that you should:
a) make a solution and then add enough of the solution to bring your tank levels up to a certain point all at once or a bit at a time or what?
or:
b) add dry compound to bring up the levels?

I just find the definition and methods of "dosing" to be very vague and I worry that someone new to a planted tank that contains fish could make a mistake when doing the "dosing". Do most people add small amounts of dry ingredients to their tanks (I'm thinking larger tanks here) or make a solution and then add X number of mL of solution to the tank to bring up the levels? It is much easier to add dry compounds to a large tanks but what would be the easiest way to add them to a small tank like 10 to 30 gallons? It's pretty hard to get .5 - 1.5 grams of a compound without spending money on a digital scale or something like that. Also how fast should you bring up levels of things such as Nitrates? Over the period of a day, week?
If we could post a sticky somewhere describing how to go about making solutions and adding dry compounds I think it would be appreciated and less intimedating for new members. Just a thought since I'm new to the whole "dosing" discussions, and I'm not experienced yet, I noticed a lot of vagueness in the posts and it's kind of confussing for the first bit.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You're right many things are taken for granted at times and when you're new at this "10ppm of NO3 using KNO3" really doesn't give you the whole picture :)

You can dose either dry or diluted/pre-mixed. Those who dose dry usually go by teaspoon measures and those who dose diluted would use a calculator such as this one to figure out the mixture of ingredients and doses required to raise the concentration by a certain amount:

...where is it now? I'm a little lost in the new interface, we have a very nice calculator here at APC but I can't find it right now so I'll link to this one:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

As far as how quickly to raise levels to their target concentrations I've always done it immediately without any real "build-up" period, but then again my fish are used to that now, perhaps initially you may want to raise the levels over a 2-3 day period... not sure how important that is but if it's a concern there are no setbacks to doing it gradually.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dosing

Hi

If you go to the fertilizer section theres a sticky there called Perpetual Preservation System with tons of information. Also check out the FAQ.
Hope it helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts