Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Desired Nitrite & Nitrate Levels

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bert H 
#1 ·
What would the desired ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels be for a planted tank? I just tested my tank and my ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite is 2.0 and nitrate is 40ppm. I believe that is what my nitrate was...I can't remember right now cause I'm freaking out right now.

This is a guppy tank and I'm starting to loose fish. I did a 50% water change Saturday because the water was cloudy but I hadn't tested the water yet. I'm dosing my tank with dry ferts...very tiny amounts every other day. Nothing even close to the EI method...just very tiny pinches maybe 10-15 crystals each.

I guess that ammonia wouldn't be effected by fert dosing. But I figure nitrite and nitrate would, is this right? What should those levels be while dosing dry ferts? Or can you not use either of those figures to help dose your tank?

Anybody know what I can do to lower them? The PH is about 8.0 and I'm trying to use the DIY CO2 method...thought that would lower the PH somewhat.

#2 ·
How heavily planted is the tank? If you have lots and lots of plants, they will use up the ammonia as it is generated, and none will be left to convert to nitrite, bringing both to zero, where they have to be. Nitrate can be up around 40 or so without harming anything even though that is much higher than desired. How much light do you have and what is the tank size? That determines how much you need to fertiize.

#3 ·
It is alarming to see nitrite levels of 2, you want that to be zero. How long has the tank been set up? Have you calibrated your test kits to be sure the readings are accurate?

If your tank is newly set up, it is obviously not cycled. As Hoppy mentioned, in heavily planted tanks, this is typically not an issue, as the plants will quickly use up any ammonia formed, but if the numbers you see are true, I would bet you do not have enough plants in there to accomplish this.

Major water changes, back off on dosing, and have lots of plants would be where I would start.

HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.