Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get diatom filtering using a canister filter? I was thinking about getting Seachem's "The Bag" welded filter bag, adding some diatom powder to it and dropping it into my Fluval.

Anyone ever done this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I cannot seem to find it here or over at PT, but there was a poster claiming that DE could be used with a canister filter--and works just as well. I haven't tried it yet, But I guess I am going to.

Not sure what the purpose of "The Bag" would be. I would just load it through the canister intake--a little at a time.

I have everything I need, so I guess I will go a head and give it whirl and let You know what I think.....

Wish me luck! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
234 Posts
No! the bag is a casing that is coated with DE. That allows water to flow through the de not around the de. That's how the stuff works. look at vortex, its the best water polisher Ive used in a long time
I understand what You are saying, and I have a vortex and understand how it works. It Should just take the DE longer to find a home. Until then--cloudiness. Its already done for me--so I'll let You know how it goes.

The other poster claims to have done it on and off for yrs. I asked for a clarification, but none was given. They appear to be a long-timer, but infrequent poster.

We'll see.......:mrgreen:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's a permalink to the post that I was referring to, with my request for clarification below it:

Diatom/Micron Filters--Post 30

The users profile shows that they have not been back online at PT since their post. I realize that my "Criteria" for judging the posters claims is pretty weak, but I am also using my own judgment/knowledge/understanding. The DE should find a home on the various media inside the xP and the flow through the canister should create the flow through the DE.

I got most of the 1/2 cup of DE in before it was too cloudy to see the filter intake (--its a low-light setup anyways). After 15 mins its was plenty clear to insert the rest of the DE--which is now done. I'll post later on how long it takes to clear up.

No! the bag is a casing that is coated with DE. That allows water to flow through the de not around the de. That's how the stuff works. look at vortex, its the best water polisher Ive used in a long time
BTW, Seachem's "the Bag" isn't the same thing as the DE bag in the Vortex. That's why I'm not sure what its purpose would be in this application....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Whoa time out guys....let me get this straight!:rolleyes:

I assumed you needed the bag to contain the DE powder. Seems I wrong on that account?

So what you are saying is to just feed the powder into the intake? Wont it just get sucked through the filter and back out again? When you say "find a home" are you saying that eventually, from continuously been sucked into and blown out of the filter the DE power will find nooks and crannies inside my other filter material to lodge itself there?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Whoa time out guys....let me get this straight!:rolleyes:

I assumed you needed the bag to contain the DE powder. Seems I wrong on that account?

So what you are saying is to just feed the powder into the intake? Wont it just get sucked throughthe filter and back out again? When you say "find a home" are you saying that eventually, from continuously been sucked into and blown out of the filter the DE powerd will find nooks and crannies inside my other filter material to lodge itself there?
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. The DE will pass through the canister and cloud the tank. With each pass more DE will settle on the sponge media, filter floss, micro pads, etc. I have no idea how this will impact medias like ceramic rings, seachem's matrix, etc. BUT, I think it will work well with sponges, filter floss and micro pads--the only thing I use in the Xp.

Right now, I'm just waiting to see how long it takes to clear up the cloudiness and what the clarifying effect will be.....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Curious to know how much of a decrease in flow you will observed. I have biomax in my Fluval canister so that's probably another concern....
I don't know exactly what the biomax is, so I am not in a position to comment. I'll google it after this post.

I don't know about the reduced flow. The poster in the other thread didn't state which filter they were using, how much DE, how long it had value, etc.....So, I will just have to figure that out for myself. If I have to start cleaning out the canister more than once/month--I won't be using this idea! :mrgreen:

Its a low-light blackwater setup, so I cannot just use seachem's Purigen--which is my first choice.

EDIT: Ok, Biomax is basically ceramic rings. I have no idea if the DE will clog those and render them ineffective or not. Just keep in mind that I am only using sponges (30 & 20ppi), Floss and Rena's Micro-filtration pads.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, I must say: This does work! The only question now is flow. At this point there does not "appear" to be a decrease in flow, but without a flow meter--its hard to say for certain.

Here's some pix--I left them full -size, so You need to click the thumbnails:

First pic is lengthwise through the 36" long tank (40gBr)--doesn't look like there is any water in there

Second pic is front to back with the camera up against the acrylic:

Last pic is back a couple of feet--Please excuse the reflections, etc:

This tank has actually never looked this clean--even after running the vortex itself for 8-12hrs--days at a time. There are only 4 shiners in there now, because the snake has gone into shed and won't be eating until afterwards, but there is up 20+ shiners and 4-5" Comets in there at any given time. As I'm sure You can imagine: Its a particulate heavy tank! Its clear now.

Now I just have to wait and see what the long-term effects are........and how well it works with a heavier fish load, but I think it will work well.

Glad I tried this...............:rolleyes:

Side Note: I was wondering about any "Dusting" of the DE on the items in the tank--there isn't any. There was initially, but its all gone now--less than 24hrs later. I don't know how this would go in a plant only tank, but would guess with fish and other moving life--it wouldn't be a problem.
Edit: The above comments about the "Dusting" are not entirely accurate: There is some very slight dusting on a couple of sword plants and the black overflow plumbing--but I had to really look around to find it. I would assume that a Good swoosh around with a hand or something would make it go away easily enough.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In the event that you have any bio-filter set up in the cannister I would be concerned about the impact of the D/E on the bio-filter. I would also be concerned that the throughput of a cannister would not be adequate. My Vortex XL puts a great deal more water through than my 2 xP3's combined. The effectiveness of a Vortex filter is partially the use of D/E however, the effectiveness is also very much a product of the through put of the filter.
Vic

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dude, this thread is odd.

There are only a few filters that are designed to use DE..

Magnums are one. Simply adding DE to a regular canister filter will not polish water. De acts as a screen to trap particulate matter. It requires this and pressure to actually polish the water. Simply waiting till the tank is clear again doesnt mean it is actually "working", all that means is it found someplace to settle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dude, this thread is odd.

There are only a few filters that are designed to use DE..

Magnums are one. Simply adding DE to a regular canister filter will not polish water. De acts as a screen to trap particulate matter. It requires this and pressure to actually polish the water. Simply waiting till the tank is clear again doesnt mean it is actually "working", all that means is it found someplace to settle.
Before and after. I did it, I was there--I saw the effect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.