Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've always been skeptical about so-called, water conditioners. Letting the water stand for 24 hours is the oldest conditioning method in the hobby.

EDIT: Just read up on chloramine. Ugh. Really takes away a huge tool in the hobby kit since it was created to stay in water far longer than ordinary chlorine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
BTW, things have really stabilized in my tank! I consistently measure 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, 0-5 ppm nitrates, the pH stays at 6.6, KH 3°, GH 10°, temp 70° F, and I have many healthy/happy/growing animals.
Full stop. That's the point. The rest of your post is basically an argument with your own fantastic results.

It's also based on a false premise: the bacteria hasn't gone anywhere; it's still in your tank. But, with -0- nitrates your tank is indicating strong enough plant growth that it out competes the bacteria for the same food source.

Put another way, the presence of nitrates indicates the degree to which bacteria have taken your plants' primary food source away from them. so, why would you want to do that?

Moreover, though less toxic than the other nitrogen compounds, less nitrate means, fewer water changes (you probably don't want it to linger at the 40ppm level for too long.)

So you've done it! You should be celebrating. You should be figuring out what you did right and trying to repeat the results.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wait... what? Your plants and bacteria don't talk back to you? Mine get downright argumentative at times!
🌱🌿🔬💬🙉

Hehehehe......

Up next (maybe): Using this experience to start a new 10 gallon NPT for the crayfish that are currently living in a plastic tub... and maybe the tadpole madtom too, so I can re-stock the grass shrimp in the big tank.

I believe becoming a tank hoarder is the inevitable next stage of aquarium hobbyist disease, may as well embrace it...
I probably have too many tiger lotuses. My understanding is that people cut the pads, if they don't want them to grow. But, at this point you can't tell me they don't feel pain. 😫

1 - 5 of 5 Posts