Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whole site knows it as Rotala Verticillaris.

Whole site will look for.... you know.

Restore the link please, Cavan. Hyper link, plain old link in the verbage, whatever. ;) Going to absolutely hound you on this - you know it is the right way to do it!

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Whole site knows it as Rotala Verticillaris.

Whole site will look for.... you know.

Restore the link please, Cavan. Hyper link, plain old link in the verbage, whatever. ;) Going to absolutely hound you on this - you know it is the right way to do it!
I don't think this is going to happen. To perpetuate the misnomer doesn't help the situation long-term. 'Tis better to spread the word that it's really a Pogostemon species.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaron, way to miss the point my friend!

Look - the Plant Finder is, and should be, a tool for people to look up plants.

This is very similar to looking up things in a reference book.

As there are many misnomers in both cases, the misnomer should be listed with a "Please see (correct name)" - just like in a reference book.

You make make the thing be one of two things. A tool for a user, whether advanced or beginning, to be able to learn and grow with, or a frustrating piece of software only useful for a taxonomist who doesn't need it to begin with.

Meaning - if you look up Kleenex, it should be a listing -simply to reference you to facial tissue.

One way is a useful tool that teaches, the other is only useful if you already know what is there.

Your choice I guess. Rather obvious which I think it should be. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I don't think it would be very hard to do a cross reference, especially since this is extremely new in the hobby. There are only a few plants that fall in this category. One is the Synogonanthus sp "belem, that everyone knows as tonina sp 'belem. If it's an extremely new ID and the rest of the world knows it as something else we should be sensitive to this. I think the "please see" is a great compromise.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Cavan's pretty good about announcing the updates on the forum so there should be no problem finding the revised entries. Isn't this what you're asking for, just in a different format?

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
If I can come up with something that doesn't clutter the resource, doesn't perpetuate confusion, and is easy to use, I'll do it. For now, my plate is very full in terms of the Plant Finder itself, the hobby in general, and personally. I have something in mind that I think will make everyone happy, but it's above my head technically and may take a while. It's on my list, just not at the top.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sort of Aaron. Think of this:

Someone relatively new to the hobby starts looking at journals, logs, etc. They see tanks, love them, see the plants... and can't find 'em in the plant finder. "Argh!", they go. So, they google it, find it listed somewhere else - and never learn.

If there was a listing that says... well, says very nicely, but says... "Hey d00d! Wrong name, it is actually called superdee dupereliciousness".... see what I mean? The Plant Finder can teach them by default, but still let them find the thing in the first place without having to tear their hair out finding an updated/corrected taxonomy.

What that person is very unlikely to do is pore over Cavan's posts hoping to find him discussing the taxnomy of the plant. You will, Aaron, because it is of interest to you. I have learned to read them too, as the guy's knowledge is just shy of scary astonishing (see, you guys should be proud, you are rubbing off on me... or ashamed, not sure which, hee!). But most folks, especially folks newer to the hobby and/or site? Nope. Search Plant Finder, go somewhere else and search again.

I know Cavan, I'm just persistent in a make you want to say "bugger-off you annoying snot" sorta way. ;)

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
I'm going to make a Plant ID forum sticky for now (perhaps forever). Again, I will get around to something that I think will satisfy everyone. Just not right yet.

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
I know Cavan, I'm just persistent in a make you want to say "bugger-off you annoying snot" sorta way. ;)
I've been growing Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia' emersed now and waiting for flowers, which have finally appeared. In conjunction with research I've done in the herbarium and online, I've discovered, besides what I'm about 99% sure so far is the species name, that it's used medicinally in South America to treat anxiety. Please don't make me eat it. :)

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I've been growing Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia' emersed now and waiting for flowers, which have finally appeared. In conjunction with research I've done in the herbarium and online, I've discovered, besides what I'm about 99% sure so far is the species name, that it's used medicinally in South America to treat anxiety. Please don't make me eat it. :)
Cavan - You are so funny! I enjoy your sense of humor! LOL :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts