Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Different kind of scape and Poison Dart Frog pics!

I am into planted tanks and have been since I was 13 yo. Anyway, I recently jumped into a new hobby; Poison Dart Frogs! It was a nice transition into the world of vivariums. I just planted these tanks. In a couple of weeks there should be some creeping fig growing up the tree fern panel, which will be completely covered, on the back. There are no frogs in it yet, but here are some of the frogs that will make it in. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice tanks! I used to keep D. auratus for a while, but set them free as I could not keep up with them. (More like keeping up with their feed!) There is a healthy population here on Oahu, which includes a very attractive reticulated strain. I think if importing dart frogs weren't prohibited here, I would probably still be keeping them. (Kinda gets boring, only keeping auratus)

Anyway, I think you are going to end up with some overgrown tanks in the future. It is not the easiest thing to do, but you should really acquire some more diminutively sized plants. What you have will out grow these tanks. Look for smaller peperomias and begonias, they make great additions to smaller vivs. If you want a splash of red, look to cultivars of Pilea, there's a nice silver leafed, red stemmed one that should be easy to find at places like Home Depot.

I would whole heartily recommend growing some aquarium plants in there.
You'll be surprised with the amount of sps. we use in our fishtanks can also be grown in a viv. I have grown several Ludwigias, Rotalas, Hygrophilas,Mayaca fluviatilis, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, sibthorpioides, Bolbitis heteroclita, Lobelia cardinalis, Anubias hastifolia Java moss, just to name a few. I think the stem plants looked the best because you can almost do the same sort of things with them in a viv as you can in an aquarium.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You make me want to throw my hands up...and jump!...throw my hands up....shout!...

Yes, very nice! I've been wanting to set one up to. Where do you get these vivariums? It's giving me great new ideas! How cool!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live right down the road from black jungle, (blackjungle.com). Really very cool store. I beleive they mail order dart frogs. I don't know if you have a source, but you might want to check them out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured some of them would grow too big, but I'll switch them out when they do. Thanks for the great suggestions! This is going to be an interesting experiment using land plants. I have some anubias nana that I want to try and I'm already using java moss, which grows nicely. I will look for some of the other plants that you suggested as well.

G & B Auratus are my girlfriends favorite frog! I also have some Azureus, Brazilian Yellowhead Tincs, orange Galacts, Green Sips, Leucs, Imitators, Intermedius, fantasticus, panguana lamasi, vents, powder blue tincs, and citranellas!

Sincerely,

David

Aaron said:
Nice tanks! I used to keep D. auratus for a while, but set them free as I could not keep up with them. (More like keeping up with their feed!) There is a healthy population here on Oahu, which includes a very attractive reticulated strain. I think if importing dart frogs weren't prohibited here, I would probably still be keeping them. (Kinda gets boring, only keeping auratus)

Anyway, I think you are going to end up with some overgrown tanks in the future. It is not the easiest thing to do, but you should really acquire some more diminutively sized plants. What you have will out grow these tanks. Look for smaller peperomias and begonias, they make great additions to smaller vivs. If you want a splash of red, look to cultivars of Pilea, there's a nice silver leafed, red stemmed one that should be easy to find at places like Home Depot.

I would whole heartily recommend growing some aquarium plants in there.
You'll be surprised with the amount of sps. we use in our fishtanks can also be grown in a viv. I have grown several Ludwigias, Rotalas, Hygrophilas,Mayaca fluviatilis, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, sibthorpioides, Bolbitis heteroclita, Lobelia cardinalis, Anubias hastifolia Java moss, just to name a few. I think the stem plants looked the best because you can almost do the same sort of things with them in a viv as you can in an aquarium.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Paul at First Class Aquatics makes these for me custom with a euro vent to keep the condensation off the front viewing area. They cost me about $100 including shipping. They are top notch and well worth it. If you end up buying one or some tell him that David Martin sent you! Here is the link:

http://www.firstclassaquatics.com/vivarium.htm

Sincerely,

David

GillMan said:
You make me want to throw my hands up...and jump!...throw my hands up....shout!...

Yes, very nice! I've been wanting to set one up to. Where do you get these vivariums? It's giving me great new ideas! How cool!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get most of my frogs locally, but I have used and would recommend Black Jungle! How is there store? I would love to see it first hand one day.

jcolletteiii said:
I live right down the road from black jungle, (blackjungle.com). Really very cool store. I beleive they mail order dart frogs. I don't know if you have a source, but you might want to check them out.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Cool! Looks great. I photographed several types of PD Frogs in Costa Rica. Here are 2--do you know what kind they are?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Nice tanks, those frogs have beautiful colors... Can you touch those frogs?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's safe to touch them. While they are poisonous in the wild, they lose it in captivity because of their diet.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
These pictures are fantastic. You did an excellent job!

May I recommend the use of Cryptocoryne in this type of setup. You'll have them flowering in no time.

Well done! =D>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts