Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While surfing the web, I have noticed that there seems to be two slightly different lines of crystal red shrimps.

One type of CR shrimps look like piecesgirls' picture, also similar to http://www.japan-net.ne.jp/next/red/red*e.html
This line of CRs have lot more red color than white color. The white area at the tip of the head is not very distinct either.

I got some CR shirmps on aquabid recently, and they seem to belong to another line of CR shrimps, here is a pic of mine:

You can see the white bands are much wider. The proportion of red/white area is almost the same. pic I found on the net: http://www.tonina.net

I heard there is a German bred line and a Japanese line. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'm not quite sure that they are actually a different 'line' so much as simply color variation. Different shrimp will have different amounts of white/red. I have read that there are "grades" of Crystals, with the ones having more white being more in demand and more expensive to obtain. Now, if you mean they selectively breed shrimp with more white, I would say yes, my understanding is that many hobbyists selectively breed for more white. Again, per my understanding, there is always the chance of a throwback to the darker black varieties as Crystal Reds were selectively bred for the red coloration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
shalu said:
While surfing the web, I have noticed that there seems to be two slightly different lines of crystal red shrimps.

One type of CR shrimps look like piecesgirls' picture, also similar to http://www.japan-net.ne.jp/next/red/red*e.html
This line of CRs have lot more red color than white color. The white area at the tip of the head is not very distinct either.

I got some CR shirmps on aquabid recently, and they seem to belong to another line of CR shrimps, here is a pic of mine:

You can see the white bands are much wider. The proportion of red/white area is almost the same. pic I found on the net: http://www.tonina.net

There r 2 kinds of crs. One is called Japanese bred.Another is called
German bred. German bred has a thin line on it's back.Japanese bred has wild white line on it's back.
The most difficult things to breed crs is to matain its white wild band. So the price is depend on its white line. the total white crs costs $500 in japan

this is my crs. costs me nt 2000 (one can of coke in taiwan is nt20)

·
Registered
118 Posts
chingin said:
Thats a lot of cans, but it is a very beautiful shimp. I hope you were able to get him a girlfriend!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chingin said:
There r 2 kinds of crs. One is called Japanese bred.Another is called
German bred. German bred has a thin line on it's back.Japanese bred has wild white line on it's back.
The most difficult things to breed crs is to matain its white wild band. So the price is depend on its white line. the total white crs costs $500 in japan

wow, that's a hefty price tag.
What you said about white band makes sense. Looks to me that some of mine have almost clear bands instead of white bands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
shalu said:
wow, that's a hefty price tag.
What you said about white band makes sense. Looks to me that some of mine have almost clear bands instead of white bands.
Treat him like Popye.Have u notice that what popye wearing? just feed spinach. :smile:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chingin said:
Treat him like Popye.Have u notice that what popye wearing? just feed spinach. :smile:
ok, I have been feeding cooked spinach, they go crazy over it:

·
Registered
236 Posts
shalu said:

<snip...>

Sha,

i'm not sure if you read this yet (http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29), but apparently there are two different lines, an Asian line and a European line. Asian hobbyists prefer the thick red and white bands that CRS are known for and selectively breed to bring out these colors, while European hobbyists have been selectively breeding such that the white bands begin to disappear, so it looks more like a Cherry Red or Opae Ula (Hawai'ian red), but with better, brighter red coloration.

i personally prefer the red and white banded CRS, but I'm Asian as well... so maybe it's a genetic predisposition. :D

rich

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha, thanks for the link, rich. I went to that thread. The red only crystal reds look no more attractive than some of my deep red cherry reds. In fact, those red CRS still have some transparent lines on their body, while the really red Cherry reds do not.

Chingin, I will send you some email. I like to ask you about them. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
holy macro, I found a pregnant Crystal red shrimp today, so excited!

the mother-to-be taking a snack on behalf of the babies-to-be:

I am slightly disappointed though, that this is the lowest grade of all my CRS, that is, has the least white area. I hope I will have more females. Look like two more are going to be pregnanent soon, judging by their size and the yellowish color of head region.

·
Registered
236 Posts
shalu said:
holy macro, I found a pregnant Crystal red shrimp today, so excited!

I am slightly disappointed though, that this is the lowest grade of all my CRS, that is, has the least white area. I hope I will have more females. Look like two more are going to be pregnanent soon, judging by their size and the yellowish color of head region.
hopefully, it was fertilized by a higher grade male, so you'll get a mixed bag of high v. low. then u can selectively breed them for higher quality. =)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
richy said:
hopefully, it was fertilized by a higher grade male,
yeah, not by a bumble bee or whatever else is in there :) I think I might have some Hybrid cherry reds there already :) I found couple of pregnant red cherries with some patterns along their back. Don't think I have seen that on cherries before, but I have a few shrimp [email protected] called "red and blue" shrimp that DOES have that pattern, hm :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
shalu said:
Don't be dissapointed, most of the pregnant females are known to loss a bit of color, especally white. Except those has very deep white like this female, she is pregnant, the color still look great. :) She is one of my favourite female CRS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts