Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I had Eco-Complete by itself in one tank and my plants grew okay. I then read about a soil underlayer and decided to try it. I liked the look, size, and weight of the Eco so I reused it instead of getting something different. My plants, especially crypts, took off. I had some Eco left over so I used it as a top layer for the next tank I set up.

Then there's the fact that I don't like searching all around town for supplies, I'm lazy and prefer online shopping, so I picked up some more Eco when I saw a good deal since it's worked for me. I have tried a couple other substrates as a cap layer and they're okay but I don't like them as well.

· Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Nice setup! The stem plants will do better if you separate the bunches and plant each stem individually so the leaves just barely touch or slightly overlap the leaves of the stem next to it. As it is now, the stems in the middle of the bunch won't get enough light at the base and will lose leaves and possible the stem will rot. It helps to use tweezers when planting stems, I have 10" tweezers and I can't imagine trying to plant stems without them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.